• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the ideal thickness for a leather flight jacket?

Striker

Is 3 ounce - 3 1/2 ounce hide thickness (Horsehide or Cowhide) preferred? Or would going a bit thicker, say, 4 ounce to 4 1/2 ounce be even more preferred?

Thanks,

Striker

atkins

For hotter climate like mine , my Gibson Barnes MK41 which is 2,5mm- ish is very comfortable, glad i didn't choose US Authentic's super thick horsehide.

Atkins

Jason

Now that's a loaded question!

The ideal or preferred weight of leather will depend on what you prefer... some like a jacekt that drapes thinly, so a quite light leather is indicated 2.5 oz or even less. Some like a thicker leather, possibly for colder weather use, or some other reason. Thats when 3.5 oz leather or thicker is preferred.

As to what is accurate... depends on the contract. 2.5 to 3.0 oz was typical I believe.

MikeyB-17

I used to be of the opinion that thicker was better, that thick tough hide was the way to go. That was until I owned a thick, tough jacket, which after a while started to wear me down. It's hard work, isn't so comfortable and restricts your movement. These days I'm much more in favour of thinner, lighter hides, which don't necessarily have to be any less tough.

Roughwear

Striker said:
Is 3 ounce - 3 1/2 ounce hide thickness (Horsehide or Cowhide) preferred? Or would going a bit thicker, say, 4 ounce to 4 1/2 ounce be even more preferred?

Thanks,

Striker

The young guys who were issued with an A2 in the War would not have cared whether the jacket was 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 ounces. They wanted a hard-wearing, comfortable leather jacket and few would have known one contract from another.

As far as 2010 is concerned it's a matter of personal preference. I don't like over thick A2s nor the ultra thin ones, but how this equates to ounces I really don't care as long as it looks and feels "right".

HHjackets

Roughwear said:
Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

The young guys who were issued with an A2 in the War would not have cared whether the jacket was 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 ounces. They wanted a hard-wearing, comfortable leather jacket and few would have known one contract from another.

As far as 2010 is concerned it's a matter of personal preference. I don't like over thick A2s nor the ultra thin ones, but how this equates to ounces I really don't care as long as it looks and feels "right".

yes! but we all knew that :cool: !!

Roughwear

HHjackets said:
Roughwear said:
Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

yes! but we all knew that :cool: !!

Of course we did, but the guy who asked the original question obviously did not! ;) :lol:

HHjackets

actually, i've also been in that position before and asked the same question.
i was asking about a-2 jackets made from front quarter horsehide but i was told it wouldn't drape well and it's true.
and that is what the question was about, not about the ww2 fit or the 2010 look.

Swing

Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

2.859 oz is the perfect weight.

Roughwear

Swing said:
Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

I thought it was 2.860. oz ;)

Swing

Roughwear said:
Swing said:
Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

I thought it was 2.860. oz ;)

Well, if ya want to round things off, then yes.

better duck

Swing said:
Striker said:

Thanks,

Striker

Yeh, but only in 46.7 degrees Fahrentheit with 76.9 % humidity and preferably, but not necessarily, a light easterly breeze .... :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
If you're looking for a reasonably accurate repro, the Lost Worlds HH is too heavy, and the wrong type. If you want a good quality, bullet proof, utility jacket, it would be worth considering.

Yes, John's CD is still available.

Striker

Lost Worlds talks about how the leather used on their A-2 requires the wearer to break it in, so I was curious if anyone here has ever owned a Lost Worlds A-2 and just how much break in it required. I guess the general opinion is that it is too thick and too stiff? I think it states the A-2 is made out of 3.5 ounce Horse Hide. But I guess the stiffness is the real issue?

Regarding the CD, on the website it says you can pay through Paypal, but there is no ordering link. It just says, "To purchase a CD: PayPal is the best way, and my PayPal moniker is my email address, [email protected]."

Has anyone ordered the CD using Paypal?

Thanks,

Striker

Vcruiser

My first A2 was a LW. Along with the thickness of the hide is the thick finish as well. Indeed bulletproof...but,perhaps,too much so for my tastes. LW HH seems quite different than others in several respects...often including stretch mark patterns unique to many of their hides. The tendacy to creak and squeak loudly seems also be a one of a kind. Their hide seems impervious to any hot water treatment. It does take some wearing to break it in. However...LWs A2 is top quality for what it is. I'm not sure the hide stiffness is really the main issue...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Striker said:
Regarding the CD, on the website it says you can pay through Paypal, but there is no ordering link. It just says, "To purchase a CD: PayPal is the best way, and my PayPal moniker is my email address, [email protected]."

So pay him, and include a note with your address ... if you're really worried, you can email first, or PM to buzzthetower.

Silver Dollar

When J.A. Dubow jackets came out about 20 years ago, a friend of mine helped me get one. It was like wearing a baseball glove. I couldn't get my hands together for a week.