• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage MK3 RAF cold weather jacket

blackrat2

Trying to keep within the realm of Burts “vintage roots” posts, thought I would see if there was any interest in the RAF MK3 jackets.
Origins for the MK3 go back to the 60’s and survived within the airforce for several decades, being replaced by the MK4 in a gortex material.
Early jackets, which are hard to come by and sought after are a blue/grey colouring, being replaced by green jackets, an example of which I own.
The green jackets themselves went through various changes in colour within there lives, mine is a nice shade of green and given its age shows minimal signs of wear
Earlier jackets came with the silver NZ zippers and again this appears to be a zipper that makes this jacket more appealing to collectors, later jackets came with a dark coloured zip
The jacket is surprisingly warm and arguably practical, comfy to wear and good sized pockets with the addition of a hood which is zipped away within the jacket, I haven’t taken mine out for pictures as it can be a faff to foldaway.
I have never seen one in person but did post up images sometime ago of an orange panel to assist with location for downed aircrew, this being stored within the neck of the jacket.
My variant has the flat seen pen pocket, later examples the pen pocket is lined and appears somewhat padded and raised .
As per the label my MK3 was produced in 1980…again, and probably owing to the Falklands conflict this makes it a desirable manufactured date to collectors.
Like most aircrew clothing the jackets run short and are designed to be worn with the matching MK3 trousers which are a high waisted “bib” design
Size wise, these jacket use the broad arrow sizing system, mine being a size 6 but like other flying garments the sizing system appears very broad with some jacket being small and other fairly large even though labelled
Labels on this jacket are nice a legible.

Hopefully, although not a leather jacket, there might be some interest in this thread, I know some of you have MK3’s so please add some pics and particularly images of the evolving zips and pen pocket..the colouring of the various makers and dependent on the year will be obvious for people to see.
If you know more about these jackets please feel free to chime in
IMG_2708.jpeg
IMG_2709.jpeg
IMG_2710.jpeg
IMG_2711.jpeg
IMG_2712.jpeg
IMG_2713.jpeg
IMG_2714.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2719.jpeg

B-Man2

Same here …I think they look pretty cool. But when you find them here in the US the sizing always seems to be the smaller ones.
Do you have a fit pic?

Last edited:

Shanghai-Mayne

I used to own one, but picked a wrong size , so have to let it go. Some time late , i found the official size guid of this jacket, but no longer able to find one in , em , good condition.

blackrat2

I don’t have one to hand Burt but will see what I can do
Think it’s like most things in this jacket hobby, get measurements before you buy
There are notably less and less of these on eBay now, so someone’s snapping them up!

B-Man2

I don’t have one to hand Burt but will see what I can do
Think it’s like most things in this jacket hobby, get measurements before you buy
There are notably less and less of these on eBay now, so someone’s snapping them up!
John
Understandable .. particularly here in the US.
Not a lot of them make it across the big pond and those that do are snapped up. Especially the larger sizes .

Griffon_301

I found one of these jackets by accident in a military surplus store in Vienna for a very handsome 100€ and I have not regretted buying it ..
it's a nice, easy wearing, but really comfortable jacket that keeps you warm even in very windy and rather cold temperatures.
for sizing, just refer to the label that's sewn I to the jacket as it not only gives a size (mine is size 7) but also provides a sizing guide that is very accurate.

so, if you have a chance to get one, even a later model that fits, don't hesitate!

20240418_100015.jpg

B-Man2

I found one of these jackets by accident in a military surplus store in Vienna for a very handsome 100€ and I have not regretted buying it ..
it's a nice, easy wearing, but really comfortable jacket that keeps you warm even in very windy and rather cold temperatures.
for sizing, just refer to the label that's sewn I to the jacket as it not only gives a size (mine is size 7) but also provides a sizing guide that is very accurate.

so, if you have a chance to get one, even a later model that fits, don't hesitate!

View attachment 145567
The sizing thing is still confusing to me. I always thought the hat a Size 7 was a larger sized jacket and comparable to about a Size 44 in US sizes , but when I convert the chest size on this to inches … 100cm equals 39.3 inches ….. that’s about a size 40 or 42 . So my question is .. what size would be equal to sizes 46 or 48 ?
I’ve never seen a size 8 or 9.
Appreciate any help you could offer .

Griffon_301

I have never seen a larger MK3 on offer than a size 8.
My guess is that due to fitness requirements for RAF aircrew, they don't need bigger sizes?

Burt what you have posted regarding measurements is interesting!
I can measure my MK3 ACC known principles and post the results.
my size 7 fits perfectly, on the lower end of the size spectrum.
I could fit a sweater underneath but nothing else. with a shirt, it fits comfortably, but that's about it.
in its current form, it's a good indicator for my weight goals. as long as I fit in, I am ok.
if the jacket will start to feel too trim, I will be in trouble :D

B-Man2

Throw the damn scales away .. and just use our jackets to let us know when we’ve put on a few pounds … I like that idea !:D

About the jacket … did I convert the CM to IN correctly at 39.3 inches at the chest ? If so then your jacket must be a little oversized because don’t you normally wear about a US size 44?

Griffon_301

I get the same conversion result.
actually it depends on the jacket which size I need.
for comparison, my ELC RW27752 is a size 46 that fits perfectly as does the ELC G-1 in size 46.
the BR 37J1 is a size 44 that feels a bit in the large side while my L-2s from BR are size 42 and Large, and these feel and fit comparable to the MK3...

B-Man2

I get the same conversion result.
actually it depends on the jacket which size I need.
for comparison, my ELC RW27752 is a size 46 that fits perfectly as does the ELC G-1 in size 46.
the BR 37J1 is a size 44 that feels a bit in the large side while my L-2s from BR are size 42 and Large, and these feel and fit comparable to the MK3...
:D:D:D
Well that clears up the sizing thing for me ……

LOL!! … Hell … I’m as confused as ever..;)

taiAtari

Like I mentioned in another thread about the mark 3, my guess concerning sizing is that it is more or less similar to the old combat smocks in that the numbers are staggered in length batches. That is: 1,2 and 3 for shorter people, 4, 5 and 6 for people of average length and 7,8 and 9 for taller people. Each successive number in a length grouping would be a small, medium large in body type. So a 1 would be a short/small, a 6 an average length/large and an 8 a tall/medium for example. I myself have a 1969 size 6 (5'8"-5'11" 162 lbs MIN. according to the label) which fits my chest, but is unfortunately too short in the arms, and a 2000 size 8 (182-190 cm, chest 100-110 cm according to the label) which fits me comfortably (I'm 189 cm / 6'2" tall, about 88 kg / 194 pounds and usually wear a 44 or 46). But like the labels stress: "Size must be determined by selective fitting"...

20240418_163114.jpg

20240418_163245.jpg

20240418_163917.jpg

20240418_164048.jpg

blackrat2

Not sure but does sound reasonable, and know size 8 on me looks like a tent
@taiAtari thanks for the images kind of shows the later pen pocket and dark zippers, not to mention the change in labels