• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vintage color image A-2 (just for fun)

2BM2K

Using a piece of software to restore the colour in the group photo to new condition gives the following result,
from which can be seen that the chap at the back with a patched A2 is wearing a Dubow 27798
with deep purple knits;

31215restore.jpg

Edward

Lieutenant Floyd Kelly (pilot), Lieutenant "Steve" Stevens (co-pilot), Lieutenant Joe Salisbury (navigator), Sergeant Don Bolce (radio) and Sergeant George Montgomery (crew chief) of the 437th Troop Carrier Group, who flew their C-47 Skytrain on D-Day, under the command of Operations Officer Captain Joe C Antrim
FRE_007455.jpg

Marv

northern boys... they scoff at cold temps. lol!

not color but a nice crisp closeup of an A-2 with wonderful grain.
Harold Barnaby
CAPTAIN | FIGHTER PILOT
Assigned to 83FS, 78FG, 8AF USAAF. Transferred to VIII Fighter Command. ETD. Awards: SS, AM, WWII Victory, EAME.
View attachment 7080

Looks to be a Flight Officer in this photo so much be an early picture for future promotions......

Spitfireace

He looks somewhat older than most! Interesting in the pic of 56th Fighter jocks how many are actually wearing leather helmets as I've often wondered why you so commonly see a crusher being worn in the cockpit? Guess a leather helmet might feel a bit claustrophobic by comparison and frankly offers no protection!! Great atmospheric pics and real colour too.
Brilliant stuff!

taikonaut

They wore them so well. I think people back in those days had different body shape and these A2 were design fit those shape.

Edward

from the Roger Freeman Collection (americanairmuseum.com)

Staff Sergeant Rich, a top turret gunner of the 95th Bomb Group with his B-17 Flying Fortress (serial number 42-97232 ) nicknamed "Sandy's Refueling Boys", August 1944. Image via Albert Keeler, 95th Bomb Group. Written on slide casing: 'S/Sgt Rich top turret gunner 412 BS.' Flew a total of 35 missions on 'Full House' 42-97797 then also flew on B-24 'Naughty Nan' with the 446th BG

FRE_005847.jpg

ausreenactor

I have been buying and selling WWII AAF kit for decades and I have often romanticised about how it was a 'boys own' adventure with all of the hardware and the cool kit. The morning routines of 'chow', flight briefs, kit prep and then the mission. Post mission debriefs and kit return. It is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 16 years as ground crew? Sitting at the mess with the National Guard A-10 pilots, Army Apache pilots and more I realise that only the aircraft, the uniforms and the technology have changed. It is still the adventure... and even the 'girls' get to aviate... Epiphany moment for me. Thanks much....

Smithy

Only problem Couchy is that you're stuck in a fenced in community, those 8th AF guys had the luxury of swanning outside the base gates when they could and go to a pub, or on a 48, into London and live it up in a few nightclubs and shows.

Bit different in Afghanistan I imagine!

ausreenactor

Only problem Couchy is that you're stuck in a fenced in community, those 8th AF guys had the luxury of swanning outside the base gates when they could and go to a pub, or on a 48, into London and live it up in a few nightclubs and shows.

Bit different in Afghanistan I imagine!

We have Rip Its... so who has the better deal? Not sure how we would go rolling into Kandahar and hitting the clubs... They surely were eager to live while they could. Catch 22 showed that... Might watch episode 1 again...

Smithy

We have Rip Its... so who has the better deal? Not sure how we would go rolling into Kandahar and hitting the clubs... They surely were eager to live while they could. Catch 22 showed that... Might watch episode 1 again...

I'd imagine the nightlife and nightclubs over there aren't much to write home about Couchy?