• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USMC pilot Frank Regan's G-1

bebel

This CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR G-1 belonged to Captain Frank C. Regan. He was an USMC fighter pilot and can be heard here: Maj. F. Regan's interview at Chu Lai in 1968
The jacket is a Mil-J-7823 specification. CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR contract N383s-9211A, the only one contract to have made G-1s with black collars instead of brown.
Apart from his interview accessible via the link above, unfortunately I found nothing about Captain Franck Regan. However, the unit badges sewn onto the jacket tell a little more about his career:
VMA-214 "Blacksheep" (one of the most famous USMC units since its CO was maj. Gregory Boyington in 1943/44) - Transformed as an attack squadron in 1958, it flew on FJ-4 Fury and A-4 Skyhawk in Vietnam.
VMA-212 "Devil Cats": the squadron flew on Skyraider from 1952 to 1958, on FJ-4 Fury from 1958 to 1961, then on A-4 Skyhawk until 1963 when the unit became VMF-212 again.
VMA-223 "Bulldogs": during WW2, this unit was part of the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal with John Smith and Marion Carl. Transformed as a VMA squadron (attack) in 1954 on Panther, it then moved to FJ-4 Fury in 1957, then to A-4 Skyhawk in 1961.
VMF-333 "Fighting Shamrocks": reactivated in 1952 as VMA-333, the unit was tranformed to VMF-333 (fighting squadron) in 1957 on FJ-Fury, then became the first Marine unit to fly on F-8 Crusader in 1960.
F. Regan alos probably served on multi-engine aircraft, seeing the patch sewn on the back of the jacket. Unfortunately from an unidentified unit by me.
The name plate in red fabric and duck is very representative of the USMC crews in Korea.
Now some pics...

20240328_091705.jpg
20240328_091649.jpg
20240328_091720.jpg
20240328_091735.jpg

Pilot

What is the collar like? “ mouton “?
Or is it the photo?
Impressive jacket!

Last edited:

Erwin

This is a fantastic Cagleco [cool that dark fur not a ginger one] with a USMC provenience. The back "Bacardi" patch looks like a USCG with personalized crew names, very interesting patch. Worthy to look for more details. Outstanding jacket, congrats!

I believe that this blackish fur on Cagleco's is not a mouton, there was some post here that it is sheep fur.

Pilot

This is a fantastic Cagleco [cool that dark fur not a ginger one] with a USMC provenience. The back "Bacardi" patch looks like a USCG with personalized crew names, very interesting patch. Worthy to look for more details. Outstanding jacket, congrats!

I believe that this blackish fur on Cagleco's is not a mouton, there was some post here that it is sheep fur.
Ah ok… blackish fur on Cagleco from this contract…
Learned something:)

bebel

Or is it the photo?
Impressive jacket!
Sorry, I really don't know. All I'm knowing is that the black collar is a particularity of this contract. I believe that not any other G-1 contract has one like black fur.

Pilot

Tom Bigley’s G-1’s all from the same Cagleco contract..
However I know that in the 70s in Korea and Japan the USN refurbished a lot of USN jackets ( plus a lot of other things ) for the Vietnam war missions..

Pilot

Edit, the 46” Cagleco is sold to a VLJ member… all other Tom Bigley’s items are not ( yet)…