• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timeworn...25 years plus Eastman B3

John Lever

This is what a repro B3 looks like after 25 years of wear.. the zip is an Aero chain with a Talon puller. This Aero was a Welsh company long gone that made zips and knitting needles. At the time they were the best available.
When it arrived the jacket was filthy but after a cool bath and slow air dry it is wearable. The skins are soft like old paper and the Merino fleece is curly and golden/white.

29f8cas.jpg

2rqge4p.jpg

2id7d.jpg

33eq73c.jpg

10zwkz9.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for sharing these pics John. This early ELC B-3 looks fantastic and could easily be mistaken for an original. What is the fit like?

John Lever

As a 42 it fits ok'ish but I seem to be more suited to the non-existant 43 as 44's are too loose in the torso. I think the pattern is slightly shorter than current versions but overall it is very similar to all the others I have owned. A 42 long might be just right.
All these early jackets seem to be duo-tone I have never seen a seal/seal version. The trim looks like steerhide.

John Lever

PLATON said:
nice, it doesn't look very old though
It was dated by Gary as early 1980's, as repros go that is quite old to me at least. The photos are fairly bright and vibrant, the true colours are rather subdued. The feel is something not conveyed visually. It feels soft and light and crumples into a pile when dropped. None of the standing to attention found in some almost unwearable jackets.
The previous owner had really looked after the zip as there is no damage at all to the cloth tape at the base. Same with the straps, on the collar the holes have never been stretched. There is very little wear on the cuffs which I think have been turned up for most of its life.
I love these old jackets but you really have to scour the globe to find them the days.

Dr H

I've seen this one in the flesh and the photos don't do it full justice - very supple, beautifully subdued patina.

Dr H

It's my runabout when the car is in the garage... ;)

No, sadly just the Camel replica at Brooklands (heard the engine running at the recent aviation day, along with some vintage displays - Tiger Moth and Puss Moth).

ELC .50 cal A-1...model's own.

archbury918

That is one beauty of a jacket John!
You made mention of a 'bath' for cleaning it up. Do you have a thread or sticky on that process?
Michael