• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end of an era?

JonnyCrow

B-17's 1944
Screenshot_20230519_163124_Kindle~2.jpg

Pa12

Funny semi-related story.

My mom had a friend, an airline stewardess. On one flight she noticed a man sitting in first class looking uncomfortable.

She approached the man, and asked him “do you do much flying?”

He replied, “I’ve done some.”

When she walked over to the other flight attendants and relayed her observation they all snickered and said, “Do you know who that man was?”

It was Charles Lindbergh.
That would have been in the days when most biscuit shooters were registered nurses. Long gone days. Oh boy, I’ve got some flight attendant jokes and stories, but I don’t want to get kicked off the forum ;)

Don't care if they fly or not.
Even without wing spar issues seems like a few get destroyed due to various reasons/causes. How will it be when the last example crashes? Nice to see them fly, but not necessary to enjoy them.

ES335

Don't care if they fly or not.
Even without wing spar issues seems like a few get destroyed due to various reasons/causes. How will it be when the last example crashes? Nice to see them fly, but not necessary to enjoy them.
I respectfully disagree. IMO, (and I know we're talking B17s here) few experiences are as visceral as an in-your-face, close up, full throttle & low altitude P-51 pass flown by someone who obviously doesn't give jack shit about $100k+ Merlin anual overhauls... Keep 'em flying!

Pa12

I respectfully disagree. IMO, (and I know we're talking B17s here) few experiences are as visceral as an in-your-face, close up, full throttle & low altitude P-51 pass flown by someone who obviously doesn't give jack shit about $100k+ Merlin anual overhauls... Keep 'em flying!
It will surely be a sad day when we hear a Merlin, wasp or wright for the last time. That will definitely be the end of an era.

Chandler

If they don’t resurrect the Reno air races that will help. They ate up a lot of engines over the years. Doubling the hp on an engine shortens it’s life drastically.
I meant the entrepreneurs with $100k to drop every year on something as obscure as a Merlin engine.

Micawber

The graceful lines and sound of a Spitfire or Mosquito giving it some welly, or a Lancaster, ranks highly too. Merlin’s are beautiful at full chat.

MauldinFan

Bitching about the younger generation is a rite of passage to aging. My old man constantly bitched about the lazy useless turds of my generation . Now it’s my turn ;)
People might decry how young people don't know WW2 planes when they see them or the people who flew them, but most older folks couldn't pick out WW1 aircraft or the famous pilots who flew them who were household names to the WW2 era folks.
I'd think only a handful of people on this forum could name more than two or three WW1 pilots or be able to name planes in period photos other than the three or four best known (Fokker triplane, Spowith Camel and one or two others).
I was at an airshow last year and we got onto this very discussion. I had someone call up photos of WW1 planes and pilots and even among people who knew WW2 stuff backwards and forwards were surprised how little of either they could correctly name.
The WW2 vets would be disappointed as I'd bet many in their prime could name most correctly as those were the men and machines they knew well from the past.

JonnyCrow

People might decry how young people don't know WW2 planes when they see them or the people who flew them, but most older folks couldn't pick out WW1 aircraft or the famous pilots who flew them who were household names to the WW2 era folks.
I'd think only a handful of people on this forum could name more than two or three WW1 pilots or be able to name planes in period photos other than the three or four best known (Fokker triplane, Spowith Camel and one or two others).
I was at an airshow last year and we got onto this very discussion. I had someone call up photos of WW1 planes and pilots and even among people who knew WW2 stuff backwards and forwards were surprised how little of either they could correctly name.
The WW2 vets would be disappointed as I'd bet many in their prime could name most correctly as those were the men and machines they knew well from the past.
Albert Ball, Georges Guynemer, Spad, nieuport :)