• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end of an era?

Flightengineer

People might decry how young people don't know WW2 planes when they see them or the people who flew them, but most older folks couldn't pick out WW1 aircraft or the famous pilots who flew them who were household names to the WW2 era folks.
I'd think only a handful of people on this forum could name more than two or three WW1 pilots or be able to name planes in period photos other than the three or four best known (Fokker triplane, Spowith Camel and one or two others).
I was at an airshow last year and we got onto this very discussion. I had someone call up photos of WW1 planes and pilots and even among people who knew WW2 stuff backwards and forwards were surprised how little of either they could correctly name.
The WW2 vets would be disappointed as I'd bet many in their prime could name most correctly as those were the men and machines they knew well from the past.

it was not about ordinary young people, but more about young guys with wings on their shirt/tunic

JonnyCrow

So poor in our house asked for something I can wear and something to play with for Christmas, got a pair of trousers with the pockets cut out :eek: :D haha