• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spanish Civil War jackets 1937-38

Charlie

11_0128s.jpg

11_0015s.jpg

11_0143s.jpg

11_0149s.jpg

11_0165s.jpg

11_0167s.jpg

11_0170s.jpg

11_0171s.jpg

Peter Graham

Fantastic looking bike in the third from last pic. Bobber fans eat your heart out ! Interesting jacket on the right. Looks like a B-10 with the pockets moved up.

zoomer

Leather breeches too on the gang with the BSA. Hey, if I had a cycle I'd wear 'em too.

Let's thank New York University and the Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive for this incredible resource.
And of course thank Harry Randall, chief of the photo unit of the 15th Int'l Bde - who at last report is still with us age 93.
11_0022s.jpg

Sgt. Harry Randall, May 1938

plaidlining

zoomer said:
You're probably right about the American origins. Most of the pictures you see here are of American volunteers (altho not "mostly" from NYC as I wrote earlier, that was the largest single group.)

most of the Lincoln Brigaders' jackets look like American jackets to me - the main clue is the knitted waist and cuffs. In Europe (especially the UK, but also France and Spain) leather jackets of similar design (patch flapped pockets etc) were very common, but usually with button or snap cuffs and either a leather or woven (not knitted) fabric waistband.

Jackets of this general "Euro A2" pattern (and also ones closely approximating to the "Luftwaffe" style) are very common in photos of Spanish Republicans, also French Resistance a few years later. They were never military jackets as such but civilian utility jackets, very popular as everyday wear among young working class males, also worn for motorcycling, flying, rambling, golf, and similar outdoor sports. I have a small collection of British examples made from about 1930-55.

Coincidentally, there has been some recent disussion of this on the FL too.....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... 69&page=12

plaidlining

yikes! I loathe and hate digital photography with a vengeance! Partly because my camera is crap, partly because I have to do a lot of it as part of my vintage business, and partly because life's too short. But I'll have a look through my photo files and see what there is already......