• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RoughWear A2 on the bay

WBOONE

Im looking for a good condition RW A2 to come along and saw this one listed on the bay under " Original WWII A-2 Flight Jacket Roughwear Clothing Co Tag Size 42". I believe that it is a re-listing with current price ( no bidders ) of $700 US, with a but-it-now price of $950. It seems to be the 18091 goatskin issue and has a troop transport patch. There are tears in the lining and some wear on the leather. Just wondering if any of the experts on here that have originals could maybe take a look and give me their opinions on the overall condition of the jacket and what it might be worth. Does it look like the real deal? Any red flags? The seller has 100% positive feedback. Thanks! Joe B

WBOONE

There is also another RW A2 size 42 ( arent they all) on ebay that has a spec tag that indicates it is a 1401-P which seems to be only made in horsehide according to the GW website but this seller says..
"It has been pointed out to me by a knowledgeable collector that this is goatskin, not horse hide." does that sound right? The jacket seems to be in very good condition but there are only a few pics available> You should be able to view it if you do a search for Roughwear A2 jackets--tjats how i came across it. Joe B

Roughwear

WBOONE said:
Im looking for a good condition RW A2 to come along and saw this one listed on the bay under " Original WWII A-2 Flight Jacket Roughwear Clothing Co Tag Size 42". I believe that it is a re-listing with current price ( no bidders ) of $700 US, with a but-it-now price of $950. It seems to be the 18091 goatskin issue and has a troop transport patch. There are tears in the lining and some wear on the leather. Just wondering if any of the experts on here that have originals could maybe take a look and give me their opinions on the overall condition of the jacket and what it might be worth. Does it look like the real deal? Any red flags? The seller has 100% positive feedback. Thanks! Joe B

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-WWII ... 3cf20856ce

The description really says it all. I have a size 44 original from this contract and the goatskin is usually strong and robust as it is on the Ebay jacket. For a size 42 it is a generous size and the BIN price is reasonable. The lining is in poor condition, but I doubt if this is the reason for it not selling. The problem is it has been on Ebay too long and people are often suspicious of a long serving jacket on Ebay.

Roughwear

WBOONE said:
There is also another RW A2 size 42 ( arent they all) on ebay that has a spec tag that indicates it is a 1401-P which seems to be only made in horsehide according to the GW website but this seller says..
"It has been pointed out to me by a knowledgeable collector that this is goatskin, not horse hide." does that sound right? The jacket seems to be in very good condition but there are only a few pics available> You should be able to view it if you do a search for Roughwear A2 jackets--tjats how i came across it. Joe B

Please can you post the link to the auction Joe as I have not managed to track it down.

ciddu

The "RW 18091 goatskin" looks quite good to me - the goatskin looks ok, it is named, patched and the actual price seems to be fair. Could be a good catch!

WBOONE

Thanks for the replys. The 1401- P seems to be a very good condition but there are no pics of the liner or zipper.This is the best i can do for a link :http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-A2-Rough-Wear-jacket-/161582785606? Andrew, could you take a look, assuming you can locate the jacket from this info, and give me you opinion? Thanks, Joe B

WBOONE

One thing that makes me a bit ill at ease on the 1401-P is that it seems to be in remarkable good condition but the spec tag to me looks a little off--sort of like the early Eastmans. In my Good Wear 1401-P which has a highly accurate spec tag the " C " in contract and the " R " in roughwear are so far to the left that the letters are virtually touching the thread that is used to sew it on, but in this jacket there is a distinct gap between the letters and the left edge of the nomenclature tag. I don't believe that this is seen on authentic Roughwears

Roughwear

I have found the jacket which is actually a goatskin RW 18091, dating to 1941. The 1401-P label is wrong and was probably not added by mistake when the shoulder decal was added and the jacket re-painted in a slightly darker seal brown c. 1944, but is an ELC repro, hand sewn on to the lining recently! The dimensions given by the seller suggest a size 38 or 40, not a 42. The price is a little steep IMO.

WBOONE

Thanks for the info Andrew. Bidding on the RW 18091 with the troop transport patch ends this evening with so far no bidders. So do you think if when its down to the wire with no bidders $700 - $750 would be a reasonably good buy for a RW in that condition? Thanks, Joe B

Roughwear

I do think $700-750 would be a fair price for this jacket. There may be bidders in the last few seconds though, but not me!

WBOONE

There are 19 people, as of now, watching the jacket with no bids. I'm sure your right Andrew. I imagine most of them are going to throw in a bid in the last 2-3 minutes. It should be interesting to see what it actually sells for.

WBOONE

well it just ended with no bidders again and it had 23 watchers. Im a bit suprised. i was tempted but im going try and hold out for a size 44 with liner in a bit better condition if and when it shows up. It will cost more im sure but i think in the long run i would be happier. Thanks again for your advice on these things Andrew.