• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro B-6 flying helmet project.

Dumpster D

Re-introducing a modification project, inspired by an original wartime B-6 flying helmet, restored with new Foam rubber ear cushions Made by 'The Rigger depot'

This is a Reproduction Type B-6 Flying helmet made by 'Fivestar leather' with reproduction B-7 Goggles and 'prop' HS-18 receivers by WPG. Note the 5 oxygen mask hooks have been carefully removed, as had been done on the original example. Which in my opinion, makes the helmet more comfortable and less likely to snag wool-knit garments etc.

I also made new lenses for the goggles, and upgraded the elastic strap to something more substantial than the stock version.

Wanted to document and share this work. It is an adaptation to accommodate a different type of oxygen mask, and receivers.

Usually a set of leather ear cups was installed to the flying helmet. However, sometimes equipment was in short supply, or temporarily unavailable. Flight crews had to make do. In this case it's possible to speculate that an extra pair of HS-24 Headphones were disassembled and re-installed in this fashion, in lieu of the standard leather ear cups.

I really liked the 'custom' look of these handmade leather reinforcement rings, that could have been recycled, from what was then available.

It took a bit of careful planning, study, and patience to bring this together.

I hope you, like me, are intrigued by personalized/improvised flight equipment.

Looking forward to discussing more details, and hearing your thoughts on this project so far.

The next step will be to find some 'DOT' snap fastener 'Press studs' to install on the leather rings.

Thank you for checking it out.

These are step-by-step photos to serve as a basic guide to follow.

Project1.jpg
project 2.jpg
mail.google-14.jpg
mail.google-16.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg
mail.google-33.jpg
mail.google-31.jpg
mail.google-32.jpg

Last edited: