• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing the decal from a cloth jacket

Peter Graham

I've just pulled the plug on a second hand BR B-10. I know from experience that originals did not always have decals applied and I won't feel entirely comfortable wearing it with the decal. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove it or at least fade it without having to dry clean the jacket several times ?

jnlight75

Yep, I tried to get some responses on that one too a while back. Except I bought the jacket new.... so not incredibly willing to experiment. Should have looked for a used one. It seems that there is not much experience around with decal (really paint) removal from the cloth jackets. Rubbing alcohol works on nylon reasonably well to at least soften things enough to work off, but doesn't do anything on the cloth decal. I've not worked up the courage to try acetone for fear it might take the dye out of the cloth. You just don't want to melt the decal into a gooey mess thats even harder to get off.

a2jacketpatches

I believe it's screen printed on there, in that case, it has absorbed into the fabric and will most likely be permanent. I think the faded look is what you'll achieve as opposed to removing it completely as in originals. If it is a decal of some type, it was probably applied with heat and melted into the fabric and you're still in the same boat.

Peter Graham

I've found a semi solution to the problem. The used BR B-10 I bought, while being in first class condition, has faded to a pleasing combat worn light olive. On an original, with an ink based decal, it would have faded with the jacket but BR have used some sort of plastic based heat applied decal that stays bright and crisp but looks totally wrong. The jacket has the potential to be a great winter wearer but the decal was really of putting so I took a piece of fine grade sand paper and started to carefully sand the decal using a circular motion. I was careful not to go over the edges as before starting I tested the sand paper under an epaulette and it scores the cotton. After about fifteen minutes of careful sanding the decal had lost it's shiny newness and was looking more like a faded original. I'm very pleased with the results so far but I think I'll fade it a bit more before I'm done. As I said, it's a semi solution. The decal will never totally disappear but at least it's looking suitably subtle now. I'm going to post pics of the jacket soon so the results can be seen then.

archbury918

In college I worked in a facility that had several different operations in it. One was a silk screening company that applied sports mascots on bags, shirts, etc..

The guys there used simple rubbing alcohol to clean 'over prints' and their screens. I realize there isn't an inconspicuous spot to test, but wonder if diluting it till you get your results might work?