• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw lanolin vs. purified

Maybe this is really getting into the weeds here, but curious if people have an opinion about lanolin as relates to refinement. I did some research and one brand looks great:

I just don't know if to get raw or pharmaceutical grade. The person I messaged said either is fine but they're not the producer, just helping with the shop, and don't sound that informed (they said the pharmaceutical one won't have a smell, and that's a reason to use it for leather, which is one of a few reasons I could tell they don't know the product that well- they didn't get into actual leather care or how the two differ in production, etc.)

And then in the actual description for each (which I'm assuming the producer did write), only the raw one lists leather softening/waterproofing as an application, if that counts for anything.

What do you think?

Thanks all!

The last thing I asked was, "Pharma grade is... just purified more? Is anything else done to it? Thanks!" to which they responded: "Yes it's purified more. Any kind of pesticides that might be in the raw grade are removed. And just generally cleaner."

Just hoping something positive isn't lost in it.