• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank Insigina on A-2s

herk115

Hi, folks.

I was wondering if any of you wear rank insignia on your A-2s. I do on some of mine, and while it's rank I earned, I'm very self-conscious about wearing it in public. I use the two-piece leather sewn-on, or the bullion embroidered on leather sewn-on. Given that I feel uneasy about wearing it in public, can any of you tell me if there is a historically accurate rank insignia worn on A-2s of the period that was removable? Did the guys wear the swing-back metal rank? Velcro is out of the question, for not only is it historically inaccurate, it leaves a big ugly velcro square when you remove the rank. I'd remove the rank from my jackets, but I'm sure you guys know what a bish it is to sew that stuff on, so I'm reluctant to cut it off. Do you guys wear the rank and tell anyone who criticizes you where to go, or do you refrain from wearing rank at all, or do you wear something removable? I appreciate your suggestions in advance.

Cheers,

Larry

watchmanjimg

This topic has been discussed here many times before, and while opinions differ I believe most agree that if you earned it you should feel free to wear it. :D

herk115

Sorry, guys. I didn't see it in the topic list. I didn't know it had already been beaten to death. My bad.

Cheers,

Larry

herk115

Can anybody tell me if the removable metal rank (or any other kind of removable rank insignia) was worn on the WWII A-2s?

dmar836

It's seen in period photos just as metal wings on A-2s are seen. Also a lot on caps and hats where they wouldn't usually go.
Dave

herk115

Does anyone know where I can find the swing back metal rank insignia of the era? It doesn't have to be vintage, but just look like it. I have one set of vintage captain's bars from my father's flight cap, but I don't want to use them.

Cheers,

Larry

dmar836

Lots of cast wings (which ara not WWII period) and restrikes from original dies on ebay for sure. If you get some, look for some that don't have that modern silver wash. They had it in WWII but most examples I have were just plain silver. Those look heavier and more correct and would take on a patina.
I have always been hesitant to put pins on an A-2 as they aren't repositionable without extra holes and permanently damage the leather.
Another suggestion, if I was committed to doing that, I would likely make(or buy - but you all know me) a wing on leather with my name and sew it on. Makes a jacket less of a prospect for theft and prevents one from stealing your silver wings.
That's JMO though.
Dave