• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Shanghai-Mayne

Max Schmeling , great German heavyweight boxer.

IMG_6989.jpeg
IMG_7039.jpeg

Enigma1938

I just read "Four Hours of Fury" about Operation Varsity. Insane battle in that area.

Also, "Rhineland", about Operation Veritable. That was especially interesting since I lived in Kalkar, GE for four years.
The mentioned town of Wesel had to deal with one of the most fierce bombings at the end of war (especially when you realize that is was a rather small town back then) turning it into a lunar landscape. Kalkar is indeed not far from the Rhineland Battlefield. In this area the ww2 is still relatively present everywhere, relics and ruins can be found a lot there. Even the antique romans had a huge military presence here 2000 years ago

A shot of bombed wesel:
wesel-willibrordi-dom-bombardierung-weltkrieg-color.jpg

Thomas Koehle

2 “REICHSBAHN” (German railroad) ladies during WW2 - interesting is the plate with those cities on it - the photo was taken exactly in the area where I life here in Germany 5 minutes from “Plochingen” … - on the shoulder badge of the girl on the bottom is written: STUTTGART like on the nameplate ...

the 2nd girl could also possibly be "REICHSPOST" (German mail system) - hard to read on the shoulder-badge

IMG_5220.jpeg
IMG_5219.jpeg

Thomas Koehle

The mentioned town of Wesel had to deal with one of the most fierce bombings at the end of war (especially when you realize that is was a rather small town back then) turning it into a lunar landscape. Kalkar is indeed not far from the Rhineland Battlefield. In this area the ww2 is still relatively present everywhere, relics and ruins can be found a lot there. Even the antique romans had a huge military presence here 2000 years ago

A shot of bombed wesel:
View attachment 146193

looks almost like HIROSHIMA ...

Micawber

Thomas Koehle

So many of them had served during the First World War. They were not the comedy caricatures as depicted in the much loved (in the UK at least) comedy series ‘Dads Army’ but volunteers willing to harass any attempts at invasion.
No offence intended!

There is a pretty famous photo of an elderly guy in his 70ies cleaning his 1928 Thommy gun on his tea-table smoking a pipe. Only his looks make me believe he actually would give his life for his country when necessary ...

Monsoon

The Reichswald is an interesting place to hike; still has fighting positions to be found.

Horrocks has Kleve bombed like that and regretted it. Said something like, "When I have nightmares about the war, they're of Kleve."

Micawber

I don't remember if I posted this photo of HP Halifax PN640 making a somewhat low pass over the Leavesden [near Watford] factory before but hey ho, it's worth repeating. Chances are one or more of my relatives were in the crowd. It is something of a shame that the Halifax bomber has been somewhat overshadowed by the Avro Lancaster.

As an aside what was Leavesden aerodrome is now home to Warner Bros studios. I remember the site as a working airfield, the factory home to Rolls Royce [Leavesden]. It closed in the early '90's.

The last of the 710 Halifax Bombers built by the London Aircraft Production Group PN640 (one o...jpg

Lorenzo_l

I don't remember if I posted this photo of HP Halifax PN640 making a somewhat low pass over the Leavesden [near Watford] factory before but hey ho, it's worth repeating. Chances are one or more of my relatives were in the crowd. It is something of a shame that the Halifax bomber has been somewhat overshadowed by the Avro Lancaster.

As an aside what was Leavesden aerodrome is now home to Warner Bros studios. I remember the site as a working airfield, the factory home to Rolls Royce [Leavesden]. It closed in the early '90's.

View attachment 146225

That's an awesome photo! A much deserved tribute to the Halifax.