• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF, IS IT WWII VINTAGE??

Rocky

Need some help on this RAF officer visor hat.

I was told, and was purchased, as being WWII vintage. But when shown to two different collectors as to the age of it,
one said it was WWII and another said it was post war.

I was thinking that it was correct for being WWII era visor. But now I'm not sure. I can return it for a refund if its found not to be WWII.

What do you guys think?

H0067-L41710676_zpsc5674f71.jpg

militaryrequests2_zpsc42e94e3.jpg

H0067-L41710680_zpsffe9948d.jpg

unclegrumpy

Wow, that is a really nice cap! The cap badge has what looks to me like a Kings crown, but as far as the exact vintage, I will be interested to hear what the boys with more experience with these have to say.

If I were to venture an opinion from the RAF Officers caps I have and have looked at, I would say late WW II to the early postwar time period. I am not sure how you can pinpoint it exactly without knowing the original owners name, and researching when he might have attained the rank to wear it.

IMO, if that cap was not crazy money, I would keep it.

Andrew

My experience is with RAAF visors so I couldn't say for sure, but these are my thoughts.

- Badge does appear KC.
- The green underside to the visor is a pretty good indicator of WWII era
- The chinstrap looks to be vinyl but should be patent, but that's probably just the pics. The RAAF ones are also thinner.
- Not sure about the fabric covered buttons, the RAAF ones are black bakelite, but I thought that RAF with a rank like that would have been brass, but then that's purely a guess.
- The top looks to be in perfect condition. Does everything appear to be originally stitched to the cap itself? New thread sewing the badge on doesn't neccessarily mean it's not original, they have a tendancy to become loose- I have one that is becomming progressively looser.
- The sweatband looks like leather- good.
- Normally the top of the visor is fabric covered, but as this one has egg on it perhaps that's how it was done.

Sorry Rocky, that's my limit, but i'd say it's ok. If you want a definitive answer go to here and ask these experts. They love picking fakes.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/

havocpaul

Not an expert on caps but always worth remembering that the King's Crown appeared up to 1952 on military items so doesn't always gurantee wartime issue. Officers (and especially very senior Officers') caps were often privately purchased so have variations in materials, quality etc...the link posted before is a good one for more info.

Steve H

Did the collector who said it was post war offer to buy it from you? :twisted:

Without knowing more about it, it looks good to me.

Rocky

Thanks guys for the feedback on the hat.

From what little that I know about the Kings Crown it looks to be from WWII era also. But just want to be real sure as to keeping, or sending it back.
I'm hoping that it's alright.

The one guy, and so far he is the only guy who said it was post war, said the crown was the Queens Crown. He didn't offer to buy it from me.

I posted on the site that Andrew listed and received a reply. I just emailed photo's of the hat to him and we'll see what he thinks.

Thanks again guys for the replies, and Andrew for the RAF link.

Steve H

unclegrumpy said:
As a long shot, have you turned up the sweatband to see if there might be a name?
Good one- forgot to mention that- sometimes there are stamps etc there that might narrow it down too.

Rocky

I haven't got it yet. Right now it's in the mail on its way. I should have it in a day or so.

Will look under the sweatband to see if its ID.

A guy from the RAF forum said that it was all correct to be WWII vintage.

Thanks guys for all the help!!!