• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - The most practical flying jacket?

Pilot

I wasn't selling or promoting anything, I was giving a suggestion.
Diasgree with your assessment on the jacket, but then again everybody's boat floats differently.
Ups sorry, but sending a link to a sales page on the first post...? how do you call this please?
Furthermore, please kindly introduce yourself in the members bio page...
Last but not least how many of those “wonderful” German goat jackets do you own or did you ever wear to support ( photos please) your sayings as being very practical?...and for how long?
Thx for your explanations.

Bremspropeller

Ups sorry, but sending a link to a sales page on the first post...? how do you call this please?
Furthermore, please kindly introduce yourself in the members bio page...
Last but not least how many of those “wonderful” German goat jackets do you own or did you ever wear to support ( photos please) your sayings as being very practical?...and for how long?
Thx for your explanations.

Again, I suggested the jacket because I thought it's a good choice and might fulfill his requirements. I own three jackets of the type.
The first I bought at LHD - a Bundeswehr outlet - in 2005, just before I left the service. It's exactly up to specs (no handwarmers, no slit inside pockets).
The second one, I bought at the place I linked to in late 2012 or early 13. A civvie navy-coloured with handwarmers and slit inside pockets (the shoulder flags came extra). I actually bought my black ELC Hartmann at the same place in 2014, as I had been satisfied with their service. They don't seem to offer the Hartmann anymore - probably because ELC's price-hikes have put their jackets out of the market.
The third, grey model (same civvie type) I bought in 2016 directly from Beckumer Leder. They have a shop, too but not in English. Prices are the same, which is why I posted the link to that site.

The main reason why I linked the site is because I wanted him to check out the jacket (as it's the same price as with the original vendor anyway), and because most used service-jackets on the bay are up to service-specs, hence no handwarmers or inside slice-pockets, which makes the jacket kinda suck in everyday use. Also, there are a lot of wannabe-BW jackets on the bay.
I figured he'd eventuelly decide himself if he wanted the jacket and whether or not to consult the bay. This is probably not his first jacket and he's a grownup after all.

As to comfort: Well, I've flown enough hours in them to say they're comfy enough. The collar zips all the way up (another requirement by the post I initially referred to, as is the pen-pocket on the sleeves) and can substitute a scarf pretty well. The jacket is thick and thin enough to wear it most days of the year, depending on layers (disclaimer: I also wear my A-2s when it's hot outside, so I might not be the perfect frame of reference).
I have actually flown one checkride in the newest of the three BW jackets, so I can vouch for it's comfyness in stressful situations. I did my tailwheel-endorsement in the navy-model.
They're certainly more comfortable than the A-2 and - at least to me - don't appear to be much more restrictive than a G-1 with that bi-swing back. The grey colour isn't to everybody's taste, which is why I bought the first civvie model in navy. I have actually gotten a few compliments on this one - not necessarily an everyday-occurence in Germany. I later bought the grey one, because I had given the original grey service-spec jacket to my dad, who loves wearing it when gardening or going for hikes.

I'll introduce myself later. In the mean time if you want to see a picture of me, you can check-out skyhawk's/ Headwind's testimonial-page. That's me in front of the 210.
I bought a custom-made A-1 from him in early 2016, when I did my IR rating in the US.

There are currently some 20'ish jackets in my closet from most well known vendors, so I think I can say a thing about comfyness (down to personal taste anyway) or two.

Ed Rooney

Attachments

• 0E4A8905-938A-4338-9B68-9485151D22B4.jpeg
    0E4A8905-938A-4338-9B68-9485151D22B4.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 147

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Again, I suggested the jacket because I thought it's a good choice and might fulfill his requirements. I own three jackets of the type.
The first I bought at LHD - a Bundeswehr outlet - in 2005, just before I left the service. It's exactly up to specs (no handwarmers, no slit inside pockets).
The second one, I bought at the place I linked to in late 2012 or early 13. A civvie navy-coloured with handwarmers and slit inside pockets (the shoulder flags came extra). I actually bought my black ELC Hartmann at the same place in 2014, as I had been satisfied with their service. They don't seem to offer the Hartmann anymore - probably because ELC's price-hikes have put their jackets out of the market.
The third, grey model (same civvie type) I bought in 2016 directly from Beckumer Leder. They have a shop, too but not in English. Prices are the same, which is why I posted the link to that site.

The main reason why I linked the site is because I wanted him to check out the jacket (as it's the same price as with the original vendor anyway), and because most used service-jackets on the bay are up to service-specs, hence no handwarmers or inside slice-pockets, which makes the jacket kinda suck in everyday use. Also, there are a lot of wannabe-BW jackets on the bay.
I figured he'd eventuelly decide himself if he wanted the jacket and whether or not to consult the bay. This is probably not his first jacket and he's a grownup after all.

As to comfort: Well, I've flown enough hours in them to say they're comfy enough. The collar zips all the way up (another requirement by the post I initially referred to, as is the pen-pocket on the sleeves) and can substitute a scarf pretty well. The jacket is thick and thin enough to wear it most days of the year, depending on layers (disclaimer: I also wear my A-2s when it's hot outside, so I might not be the perfect frame of reference).
I have actually flown one checkride in the newest of the three BW jackets, so I can vouch for it's comfyness in stressful situations. I did my tailwheel-endorsement in the navy-model.
They're certainly more comfortable than the A-2 and - at least to me - don't appear to be much more restrictive than a G-1 with that bi-swing back. The grey colour isn't to everybody's taste, which is why I bought the first civvie model in navy. I have actually gotten a few compliments on this one - not necessarily an everyday-occurence in Germany. I later bought the grey one, because I had given the original grey service-spec jacket to my dad, who loves wearing it when gardening or going for hikes.

I'll introduce myself later. In the mean time if you want to see a picture of me, you can check-out skyhawk's/ Headwind's testimonial-page. That's me in front of the 210.
I bought a custom-made A-1 from him in early 2016, when I did my IR rating in the US.

There are currently some 20'ish jackets in my closet from most well known vendors, so I think I can say a thing about comfyness (down to personal taste anyway) or two.

9001EA74-E395-45CB-9235-7433D76A1169.gif

Micawber

I stuck pheasant feathers to an old B-15 using a mix of wax and pine resin, a bit of a run and a hell of a load of flapping and ...I was flying!! Up, up up I flapped and eventually broke through the overcast into brilliant sunshine ...marvellous! Then the bloody wax started to soften and the feathers started parting company. Messy landing I can tell you. Waste of a B-15 too.

Wear what you are happy with.

Pilot

I stuck pheasant feathers to an old B-15 using a mix of wax and pine resin, a bit of a run and a hell of a load of flapping and ...I was flying!! Up, up up I flapped and eventually broke through the overcast into brilliant sunshine ...marvellous! Then the bloody wax started to soften and the feathers started parting company. Messy landing I can tell you. Waste of a B-15 too.

Wear what you are happy with.
Welcome home B-(15)-Carus...
Love this story...
;)