• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 9th Air Force Patches

269sqnhudson

Anyone know why it's so hard to find pics of 9th AF personnel wearing issue patches? They all seem to be wearing theatre-made versions. The 9th had been in the ETO/MTO longer than anyone, why no issue patches :?

A

Anonymous

Good question, and you are right, I see the shoulder patch out there, but no squadron insignia's but I haven't seen everything yet. Take that back. I do have a pic of a decaled insignia.

ausreenactor

269sqnhudson said:
Anyone know why it's so hard to find pics of 9th AF personnel wearing issue patches? They all seem to be wearing theatre-made versions. The 9th had been in the ETO/MTO longer than anyone, why no issue patches :?

If there was a standard kit issue, the Meditteranean woudl have consumed the initial issue uniforms at a faster rate. The supply chain was shorter to the UK? And the patches would have been transferred from shirt to shirt and suffered as a result. Just a thought.

With regard to the Squadron/Group insignia could be a case of Standing orders? 'No sub-unit patches' - Yes Sir! - Our unit patches have to be approved by Heraldry within Defence these days...The SF boys are pretty guarded with their patches. I have a 2 Commando Sniper TP patch here I can not put into the public domain. Only reason I got it...Very sexy, mildy inappropriate.. Pre-WWII Germany inspired.

Keep up the chase!!

Couchy

unclegrumpy

The design was approved September 16, 1943, and they transferred from the MTO to England on October 16, 1943, so it would make sense that we would see a lot of photos of the English made versions on uniforms.

The US made version is a common patch, and one that is also common to find sewn to shirts and tunics. The English made patches, both in felt and bullion, are just about as common, and often found on uniforms, especially from guys who served in 1943 to 1944.

I think the English made patches were considered better looking, and were continued to be bought throughout the war....most often by Officers....who had the money to buy them, and probably a bigger desire to look like old hands.

By the wars end, the American made patches were in QM stock, and being put on the uniforms the guys were issued to go home in. Enlisted guys were issued their patches, and it is very common to see EM outfits with the standard American made patches on them.

ausreenactor

I had an impressive felt 9th AAF patch I failed to attach to an ELC Rangoon shirt. I certainly agree they are better looking. Dress uniforms would be a priority for patches for sure. Have you seen the field uniforms regularly patched? PR style pics would always see crisp neat attire; however, I would hazard a guess that regular wear items would be less compliant with dress regulations?

Will start a Google hunt.. Nothing better to do on Australia Day than look for more WWII USAAF pics and an enhanced working knowledge..

Couchy

unclegrumpy

ausreenactor said:
Have you seen the field uniforms regularly patched?
Generally speaking, US Army wartime field uniforms were not patched. I can think of many instances where they were, but it was not the norm....and against regulations in many Commands.

Once the war ended, they often put patches on everything. Nobody was getting shot at or worried about giving up what their unit was if they were captured, but they had to look good for inspections....which there was then a lot more time for.