• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price increase at Eastman Leather

Officer Dibley

Once an object exceedes what you can afford or are prepared to spend on it, all other increases become irrelevant.
Like cars, overly expensive clothing & bicycles are another way for some to tell the world how successful they are. Because that is important to some. For them, the more expensive/exclusive the better.
Dave

Pilot

Not very important... in 5 days I will be in Quarantine exempted confinement of two days in Narita Tokyo... not important at all ... but just a little notice aside all the sad things happening.. ...C-19 killed more US citizens in less time than the Na-socials did.... until 1945 .the World is so focused on BS and unvital BS broadcasted every second in the “ bought out “ medias...
The C-19 originating dictatorship and ruthless economy is having it all sorted and the so called western democracies are having “ fun” with assides ... and little worthless issues...and and and a lot still buy cheap and cheaper and are happy customers ...from this murder economy soorry my 1ct ranting .
Move on ..move one ...little sad sorry world....
Greetings from Container village ready to check in ( sorry out )...
BTW... prices in Japan... ( living costs) ask me.. ... happy to answer if you dont laugh :)

Last edited:

B-Man2

Spot on Dave. And to take your comments one step further, that may very well be a consideration or component of the ELC business plan . There’s certainly a number of consumers who purchase their clothing with the label rather than the fit and quality of the garment being their first consideration . There are others who associate quality with a high priced label . I remember being in Thailand during the late 70s when designer jeans like Sergio Valenti , Calvin Klein and Jordache were all the rage . Before the designer frenzy was pushed on the consumer jeans were $10.00 -20.00 a pair . After the designer fashion increase prices jumped to $70.00 -100.00 per pair . The public bought that designer Jean thing hook, line and sinker. It wasn’t until I was taken to a jeans factory in Bangkok, that I realized how much we were being taken in . Inside the one factory they made all three different brands of jeans at the same factory . From the same rolls of denim . I thought to myself that it was all designer labels being knocked off or repro stuff until I saw some of the shipments going to name brand stores and businesses in New York and some major US cities . Of course this has nothing to do with ELC , it’s just an example of how we buy into products because of labels and associate quality with high prices. Is this part of the ELC business plan? I don’t know, but if it is I’m sure some will buy into it . But hey ... it’s their money , so it’s their choice .

ausreenactor

Just got the newsletter from ELC...

250 GBP for an Officer's shirt and tie?

575 GBP for a M-41?

Plus taxes / import duties of roughly 20%...

...all made in Japan, probably by Mr. Miyagi himself...
Got the email and got excited. Jumped over here to see if someone had started a thread. Literally just had a glance at my ELC Pink Rangoon and wished they were still available. Taking the ELC Choc Rangoon back to Brisbane and was packed in the car last week. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the prices. Lots of USAAF reenactors had posted WTB threads on the pages over the years. They will probably not hesitate..

I would. I have a BR M1941 in a 44 tucked away.. Never thought they would get that expensive..

Too scared to look at the boots prices then..

Pilot

Hey Trevor , condensing all your recent posts, about making extra bucks and income etc...you must be very rich by now so this little price hick-up is nothing compared to your latest Aus.$ raise and pays....
If you cannot recall, just revert ... happy to send you all your last posts praising those $$ xxxtras... wordings
Envying you :)

ausreenactor

Hey Trevor , condensing all your recent posts, about making extra bucks and income etc...you must be very rich by now so this little price hick-up is nothing compared to your latest Aus.$ raise and pays....
If you cannot recall, just revert ... happy to send you all your last posts praising those $$ xxxtras... wordings

I have worked long and hard for decades and I am blessed to have hit my worn rank. I ate a lot of trash along the way and the family moved seven times in eleven years at one stage, as I posted and promoted. For the most part we were on one income with three kids. My purchases were appropriate to the spare income. The draws full of $2.99 patches and $6.99 chevrons are now $30-$50 on eBay. The $35 visor caps and garrison caps are now worth considerably more. It is all just time based. They say militaria will double in value every 10 years (for the right items). I would not include military surplus in this field. Now it is paying off I suppose. But the profits are not there unless you sell. My first Aero and ELC A-2s cost me $400-$500 in the 90s. The retail prices have jumped correspondingly. The pricing is just relative...

I don't make 'extra' bucks or income. I just spend a portion of the wages wisely on occurrence, enhance the items in the collection.... and wait... The odd jacket sale here and there. 2008-09 was the peak of my jacket buying and selling. 40 jackets sold that financial year. The Japanese Yen and the US Dollar were aligned. I made $28K on eBay and was contacted the Australian Tax Office. I would buy three jackets, ship them, sell two and keep the third (rare or mint BR/RMc). Then the other two sold jackets would get me my money back. The JPY and USD are on parity and there is no room to exploit an advantage. The shipping negates any profit and any smart person is on Yahoo Japan looking for jackets these days. Shipping a jacket twice to sell it is pointless.

My ELC Rangoons both came via the Chinese overruns out of Taiwan on eBay over 15 years ago.. Think they cost $79-99 a piece back then, with the tie. They are still basically unworn, one has an 82nd Airborne patch and they both have original collar insignia. I guess they would probably fetch $200 a piece second hand now.. IF I wanted to sell...but I just factor in the replacement cost if I were to want it again. And I would never pay that price for a Chocolate shirt that I am unlikely to wear.

And the most expensive boots I own are WWII Impressions USMC Cordovan shoes... because they were the only ones available anywhere....

ausreenactor

20210109_102150.jpg

Here is the Pink shirt. On it I have pin back, snowflake CAPT rank insignia, AAF collar and a Sterling Glider pilot wing. All bought from EBay over the years. Original chocolate trousers are also on the hangar. Instead of buying the big 4x4 we just rolled our little Nissan Pulsar. I sent off the PayPal and paid the USPS to get the items to me...

In the interim all of those items have gained in value...

If I had bought watches, wine, certain cars then the values would all rise.

A 2004 $2 Hot Wheels car in the packet would probably be with $5 today...

stanier

I"m glad I have two of the ELC Rangoon shirts, one is in chocolate and one pink and one has been worn once and one never so both minty. And I much prefer the Rangoon labels than the labels in these new shirts.

But if I wanted the best uncompromised repro shirt available (and assuming it is that) then I'd pay the ELC price. Some people spend their money on golf clubs or luxury holidays and other things they choose but I like my clothes and thats just the way it is. That doesn't mean I'm happy they're £250 but if thats the price, then that's the price.

stanier

I've got sterling mini pilots wings for my Rangoons with original AAF collar tab and captains bars. And I picked up from ebay two minty wool felt aaf shoulder patches to go on the shirts which I've still not had fitted... one day it will happen...!

ausreenactor

I"m glad I have two of the ELC Rangoon shirts, one is in chocolate and one pink and one has been worn once and one never so both minty. And I much prefer the Rangoon labels than the labels in these new shirts.

But if I wanted the best uncompromised repro shirt available (and assuming it is that) then I'd pay the ELC price. Some people spend their money on golf clubs or luxury holidays and other things they choose but I like my clothes and thats just the way it is. That doesn't mean I'm happy they're £250 but if thats the price, then that's the price.

What's a 'holiday'? Haven't had one of them since 2013.... ;)

You are 100% correct. I would have bought a couple of the ELC T Shirts on quality alone..the shipping just inflates the price exponentially. If I ever get to the UK I will selling my soul for a 'Hells Angels' A-2 and wearing it home on the plane.. 'What? this old thing?' ;)

AUD$3300! Duties on that would nudge it well over AUD$4000... That is USD$3105 for an A-2. I am envious of Grant....

Monsoon

I bought my Perry B-3 from HPA before the prices went thru the roof. I think ELC went "hipster" when they started their ELMC line of products. As long as they have customers willing to pay their prices, they aren't gonna bat an eye if we all stop buying their stuff.

foster

Increase the prices, and you can make the same amount of money while making and selling fewer items. If you have a strong enough brand name, you can do it. Meanwhile, all those second hand used ones from previous years just jumped in value to all the current owners. All the old unsold inventory is now valued higher as well.
I don’t agree with it in principle, but it could be either a genius move, or a calculated decision to reduce business for the purposes of closing up shop and liquidating it all. Some other business is likely to be willing to drop money for a big name...

Maybe I’m looking at this too cruelly, but I could see it as a possible explanation.

B-Man2

Increase the prices, and you can make the same amount of money while making and selling fewer items. If you have a strong enough brand name, you can do it. Meanwhile, all those second hand used ones from previous years just jumped in value to all the current owners. All the old unsold inventory is now valued higher as well.
I don’t agree with it in principle, but it could be either a genius move, or a calculated decision to reduce business for the purposes of closing up shop and liquidating it all. Some other business is likely to be willing to drop money for a big name...

Maybe I’m looking at this too cruelly, but I could see it as a possible explanation.
Hi
Agree with your post in its entirety. I think what has prompted most of this discussion and something you might not be aware of is that this is their 3rd or 4th price hike in the last year or two. If I’m remembering correctly they had three of them in about 16 months back in 2019 -2020 time frame . A bit out of the norm for most of the top tier jacket makers, who haven’t had more that a price hike or two in the last 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:

Micawber

Once an object exceedes what you can afford or are prepared to spend on it, all other increases become irrelevant.
Like cars, overly expensive clothing & bicycles are another way for some to tell the world how successful they are. Because that is important to some. For them, the more expensive/exclusive the better.
Dave

As usual Dave nails it.
I just can't get wrapped up in knots over this. To state the bloody obvious reproduction flying jackets and reproduction military clothing will always be reproductions no matter what.

On a broader note. Off the peg clothing is the mainstay of most wardrobes. Some love labels and will ostentatiously mention they will only consider 'best' never 'cheap' at every opportunity, and if that makes them happy or in some way feel superior that's fine isn't it. But the stuff is still off the peg, still off the rail.
However, in more general terms reproduction service or flight gear comes fairly low in my personal importance rating. It is what it is.

I suggest that those who really appreciate quality will generaly be modest in their approach and language, those who really care about best in terms of non reproduction more general clothing will stick with bespoke and will quietly visit a good tailor and go through the lengthy process of choice of cloth, being fully measured then the wait, the trial fits until the job is done. If the tailor is good the garment will fit to perfection. There will be no ostentatious labels on show but just a small one sewn into the inside of an interior pocket giving the clients name, date of garment completion and perhaps the number from the order book entry.

The cost of a hacking / sports jacket in a first rate tweed will probably be similar to a B-3 from ELC and will get far more use with me.

No song, no dance, nothing to prove, to offense to anyone intended.

foster

Hi
Agree with your post in its entirety. I think what has prompted most of this discussion and something you might not be aware of is that this is their 3rd or 4th price hike in the last year or two. If I’m remembering correctly they had three of them in about 16 months back in 2019 -2020 time frame . A bit out of the norm for most of the top tier jacket makers, who haven’t had more that a price hike or two in the last 7 or 8 years.
Yes, I have noticed that ELC has been doing these increases with some accelerated frequency. Increases to compensate with inflation or raw material cost increases are normal, but clearly that is not the case with Eastman, as their price increases are less incremental and more exponential.

Bombing IP

Your making money theory does not ring out because of the Government keeps printing money in circulation and the more money there is the less value it has .Gold was used by the Jews to get out of Germany because the DM was so inflated ,James Bond carries it in his belt and its mentioned in the Bible .Every one in the world knows what it is and is more valuable than paper currency . It takes three tons of gold ore to make 1 ounce of gold so it is very labor intensive .The Federal reserve note can be printed for a few cents and is vulnerable because its only backed by confidence . Think about this in 1970 you could buy a house with a 1000 1 oz gold coins 1 oz = $40 in 1970 ,today you can still buy a house with 1000 gold coins do the maths . Its paper money that's screwed up the value of gold has held its position .And when markets collapse the serious money gets into things they can touch not numbers on a screen . You think you are making money but the power of your dollar or pound is steadily declining .

BIP

Micawber

As some of the Rolls Royce salespeople were sometimes apt to answer when asked the direct question how much would one of their complete cars would cost in total on the road:

If you have to ask the price, you probably cannot afford the car."

Another post that took two attempts to post :oops:

ausreenactor

Your making money theory does not ring out because of the Government keeps printing money in circulation and the more money there is the less value it has .Gold was used by the Jews to get out of Germany because the DM was so inflated ,James Bond carries it in his belt and its mentioned in the Bible .Every one in the world knows what it is and is more valuable than paper currency . It takes three tons of gold ore to make 1 ounce of gold so it is very labor intensive .The Federal reserve note can be printed for a few cents and is vulnerable because its only backed by confidence . Think about this in 1970 you could buy a house with a 1000 1 oz gold coins 1 oz = $40 in 1970 ,today you can still buy a house with 1000 gold coins do the maths . Its paper money that's screwed up the value of gold has held its position .And when markets collapse the serious money gets into things they can touch not numbers on a screen . You think you are making money but the power of your dollar or pound is steadily declining .

BIP

How do you explain Bitcoin then? Worth more than Gold and 100% intangible. Can't carry it anywhere... Yet the value is set against the easily printed currency...