• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Praise indeed!

johnwayne

Like many if not most here I’m certain we all treasure our aviator s/glasses? Many years ago, so long I can’t recall when, but I bought a pair of Randolph Engineering’s when their selection was nothing like today but the fact the USAF wore them was good enough for me, loving the ‘spade’ style arms even though I have no reason to wear a helmet they were designed for! However, recently the nose pad broke off, not the pad itself but where it joins the frame.
I emailed RE to ask if they could recommend somewhere in the UK to fix them and same day I got a reply asking a few bits of info and to send a couple pics. Incredibly they said I was covered by their lifetime guarantee and today I rec’d a brand new pair via DHL today, 3 days after my first chat!!! If that’s not fantastic customer service I don’t know what is? Thought you all might like to know.

Chandler

Wow.

I have a very old pair from an old army friend -- the plastic on the arms and nose pads have yellowed terribly (glasses are probably 1980?).

I wonder if they're covered under the warranty? ;)

johnwayne

Wow.

I have a very old pair from an old army friend -- the plastic on the arms and nose pads have yellowed terribly (glasses are probably 1980?).

I wonder if they're covered under the warranty? ;)
My nose pads and arm ends were yellowed but somehow doubt that’s covered, you could ask and they might be able to replace? Stolen ones I suspect only covered by general insurance!!

Pilot

Like many if not most here I’m certain we all treasure our aviator s/glasses? Many years ago, so long I can’t recall when, but I bought a pair of Randolph Engineering’s when their selection was nothing like today but the fact the USAF wore them was good enough for me, loving the ‘spade’ style arms even though I have no reason to wear a helmet they were designed for! However, recently the nose pad broke off, not the pad itself but where it joins the frame.
I emailed RE to ask if they could recommend somewhere in the UK to fix them and same day I got a reply asking a few bits of info and to send a couple pics. Incredibly they said I was covered by their lifetime guarantee and today I rec’d a brand new pair via DHL today, 3 days after my first chat!!! If that’s not fantastic customer service I don’t know what is? Thought you all might like to know.
Quality always pays off.

Chandler

@johnwayne -- did you register your glasses with Randolph?

I just saw the registration page at their website -- I might do that just to see how they respond to a pair from 1981 and another from 1985. ;)

johnwayne

If I did register them then I can’t remember, it really was that long ago!
Not sure Bauch & Lomb/Ray Ban would be so accommodating now they are I believe, an Italian owned company!!

Chandler

Not sure Bauch & Lomb/Ray Ban would be so accommodating now they are I believe, an Italian owned company!!
Yeah, B&L sold the Ray Ban brand a long time ago.

That Italian company owns just about every designer eyeglass brand these days.

But I can't afford them or Randolph anymore. :confused:

(Full disclosure -- both pairs of Randolphs I own were gifts -- and given to me by an Army Reserve friend who got them at a serious discount from the base exchange. I wonder if Randolph still sells thru base exchanges at a discount?)

Pilot

Yeah, B&L sold the Ray Ban brand a long time ago.

That Italian company owns just about every designer eyeglass brand these days.

But I can't afford them or Randolph anymore. :confused:

(Full disclosure -- both pairs of Randolphs I own were gifts -- and given to me by an Army Reserve friend who got them at a serious discount from the base exchange. I wonder if Randolph still sells thru base exchanges at a discount?)
At Osan AB, only AO issued ones can be purchased at the PX.
RE also came to late for the “Vietnam war “ contracts.
AO was the military supplier ( and still is ).
RE history:

AO history:

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

This is interesting-I have a pair of Randolph’s which I bought new many years ago-kept them pristine until I managed to step on them. Bent the frames, scratched the lenses, managed to bend them back and still use them for work, but it would be good if I could get another pair.