• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL ROUGH WEAR B-3 FROM THE AC 17756 CONTRACT

Roughwear

This is a recent addition to my collection, an extremely rare original RW B-3 from their first B-3 contract dating to the spring of 1941. It is a low production number- B154. As you can see from the photos the jacket is in very good condition without the usual wear to the cuffs and hem and the fleece is in robust condition without any repairs.

As is common with these jackets there is evidence of splicing which was done in the factory during production. It is made from veg tanned, hand dyed sheepskin giving it a typical redskin appearance. Notice the mis-matched colour of the back panels. The label is in pristine condition and it's a 42 Regular. I have replaced the original Talon zip, which was fractured in several places with the correct NOS Deco Talon. The zip slide/puller is from the original zip, as is the leather toggle. Redskin B-3s don't get much better than this!

It fits me well, although this 71 year old jacket is only for occasional wear!
P1100800.jpg

P1100813.jpg

P1100814.jpg

P1100824.jpg

P1100801.jpg

P1100802.jpg

P1100803.jpg

P1100804.jpg

P1100805.jpg

P1100806.jpg

P1100807.jpg

P1100808.jpg

P1100809.jpg

P1100822.jpg

P1100818.jpg

P1100815.jpg

P1100826.jpg

P1100827.jpg

P1100828.jpg

Dani-B

What a stunning jacket this is - thanks for the pics, Andrew. This shows me also how perfect Gary and his staff had done the job with my ELC Roughwear Redskin B-3 - the jacket looks nearly similar! (Without the nice, 71 year old traces of time of course :) ) I like the B-3 so much - a timeless and iconic garment.

Regards Dani

Roughwear

Thanks Dani. The latest ELC broken grain redskin RW is a great jacket. I just wish they would use Talons rather than the weaker Crown zips which were not used on the original contract.

saucerfiend

Andrew,
Great find! It looks like it has a great history. Beautiful shades covering that beauty. Congrats!

Brian

Roughwear

I think it has been in the UK since the War. When I replaced the zip I found the name Laud written on the inside of the zipper tape, so I guess this might have been the original owner or a post War owner of the jacket.

TankBuster

What a beauty! One of the nicest jackets I've seen here in a while. Redsking B-3's in that kind of condition aren't seen very often at all and normally bring some serious $$......congrats!

bseal

Yawn, boring. :p

No, but seriously, your collection and your willingness to share it makes this forum exactly what it should be. Thank you.

Silver Surfer

killer example. even in perfect condition, i have found the redskins, and seal b-3s just one step away from coming apart. they look robust, but they really are fragile. "do be careful 007." for wearing, a repro b-3is the only way to go. interesting to me is the seemingly dark hh facings. is it the photos, or are the facings closer to a seal then russet?

Roughwear

Vic I have owned quite a few original redskin B-3s and this one is robust, but it will only be worn very occasionally as it is a very rare jacket in this condition. The hh facings are almost seal and certainly darker than the leather used on the current ELC RW repros.

From experience I have found that B-3s that have stayed in the UK since the War tend to be more robust than many that returned to the States because of climate differences.

chamboid

An amazing jacket. This I why we collect, the age and beauty, untold story's that are within every wrinkle and miss coloured section. Worn but not beaten.

It is a thing of beauty and brilliantly antiquated. To think the modern equivolent would be so much smaller in bulk. Or a puffer jacket. I still know which I'd prefer to wear.

CBI

The one original B-3 I own fell apart after ONE wearing. Have stayed away from one since but I do love these jackets.

Again - very cool!!

TankBuster

The best way to buy shearling is from someone you really trust or in person. I had a very nice original duo tone size 44 but sold it a few years back for a price I couldn't refuse. I still miss that jacket as it was truly a wearer. Finding a robust wearer like this is tough and a redskin makes it even better!

handworn

That, sir, is a truly stupendous jacket. Never seen a better B-3.

Incidentally, I was just looking at the Eastman site for the Redskin Rough Wear B-6, and I notice that your jacket and the B-6 have the same contract number. I assume they were contracted for at the same time and on the same contract, but...does anyone know how often two types of jacket were under the same contract?

By the way, I was longing for the Eastman RW B-6 (and wondering what I could sell that would actually make me comfortable with dropping that kind of cash on a jacket)-- does anyone here own one who could give a report on how good it is?