• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL DUBOW 27798 SIZE 44

Roughwear

I have been searching for a really decent original Dubow in a size 44 from the 27798 contract for some years. Smaller sizes often come up for sale, but not the larger ones. Therefore when an all original size 44 turned up a few weeks ago on Ebay I could not let it go!

The jacket needed very little doing to it. The russet horse hide has been given a coat of Pecards, minor repairs were carried out on the wristlets. Unfortunately the Crown zipper was broken on both sides and had to be replaced if the jacket was to be worn. I replaced it with a NOS Talon, which was used on this contract. The lining is in good order and a bonus is the original size tag in the right pocket.

Studying the jacket carefully I noticed that on the epaulets are painted major's oakleaves. These were not mentioned in the listing, perhaps because they have faded over time. The stitching which varies from light brown to olive drab is all in tact.

I have owned several Dubows in the past and this is the nicest by far! The horse hide is supple, with bags of character and is not typical of the leather used to make Dubows from this contract. It appears to be veg tanned and aniline dyed rather than the more usual spray finished leather used in the 27798 contract. It is more typical of the hh used on the first two Dubow contracts. I suspect this was an early production jacket within this large contract which was awarded in the Spring of 1942.

The jacket is very comforable to wear and IMO one of the most stylish A2 contracts made in the War.

001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

007.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

033.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Andrew

Beautiful leather on this one. That would be my dream jacket, just got to find one in a 48 but as you say larger sizes in these are rare.

Anyone out there with a 48 Dubow and willing to trade I have a choice of Perry or RW27752! :lol:

Roughwear

Thanks for the thumbs up chaps. It really is a splendid example of an A2 from this iconic maker. Dubow A2s are always on the trim side. I can normally wear all original size 42 jackets (apart from Monarchs), but size 42 Dubows are really a little small for me. Most of my original A2s are size 44 and this Dubow is a trim 44, especially compared with my size 44 RWs and Poughkeepsies. For information here are the measurements of this Dubow:

Pit to pit: 23"
Shoulders: 19"
Sleeves: 24"
back: 25.5"

I have absolutely no idea who the original owner was. There is no evidence of a name tag or a chest patch ever being stitched on the jacket. It has certainly been worn quite a bit in the war, but not excessively. Perhaps the major who owned it spent part of the war desk-bound? :)

derleicaman

Wonderful find Andrew! Amazing to find an original in such beautiful condition. If one didn't know better, you'd think this was something from JC's bench! Wear it in good health.

Roughwear

Clark J said:
Great Dub!!How many originals does that make Andrew??How about a pic of the "vault"!!!!

I currently have 15 original A2s in my collection. I had a minor cull earlier in the year. At present I have these jackets:

Aero 21996 size 44
Monarch size 44
Rough Wear 16159 size 44
Rough Wear 1401-P size 44
Rough Wear 27752 size 44
Star 28557 size 44
Poughkeepsie size 44 x 3
David D Doniger size 42
No name David D Doniger (29971) size 42
Perry 42-16175-P size 44
Dubow 27798 size 44
Spiewak size 42
United Sheep Lined size 42

I have bought very few original A2s this year as decent larger sized ones come up for sale very infrequently now. I'm still after a really decent wearable Cable and Bronco in a 44.

bobbyball

Great jacket Andrew,

I had the good fortune of seeing this in the flesh last week and it really is a great looking jacket. I did see this one on ebay but was not sure about the condition but it is superb - pics were not great on ebay but Andrew does have the eye for these things and it has paid off.

Well done on another great find!

Cobblers161

Andrew you have a knack of finding these gems and this is a frankly amazing example. That is some collection.

Roughwear

Thanks, Steve. These "gems" are getting harder to find these days. I did notice that someone bought a very nice size 42 Star Sportswear A2 on ebay yesterday. It had a BIN of around £800 and someone made an offer (not me!) and got it for a couple of hundred less!