• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One wild looking insignia

Mac

That is wild. I guess appropriate for the BG that fire-bombed Tokyo. Heck of a patch. Thanks for the link.

Mac

A

Anonymous

Yea,I'm going to have to make that as a chest patch when I have time.

A

Anonymous

What do you mean not original, it's on the side of a B-29, it's on the cover of the book written about them. Just because it is not an approved AAF insignia does not mean it's not original to them, the men that flew the missions.

CBI

Its a cool looking patch and no question the design is legit but the grain of the leather on the paint side as well as the paint pile makes me feel its 50/50 - original or repro. If a repro, probably painted 20 plus years ago.

I am simply not sure.

I would need to look again but it looks like the other patches were painted by the same person?

unclegrumpy

91stbombgroup said:
What do you mean not original, it's on the side of a B-29, it's on the cover of the book written about them. Just because it is not an approved AAF insignia does not mean it's not original to them, the men that flew the missions.

When I say "original", I am referring to when the patches were made, not that the designs are fantasies. In looking at these patches, and the others the guy has for sale on eBay, I think these were painted in the last twenty years or so.

These are particularly bad fakes in that who ever created and sold them in the first place, made an extra effort to deceive. The guy on eBay says they are coming out of a collection he bought, so he may well not be the perpetrator, and honestly believe they are original WW II patches himself.....but sadly I am very close to 100% sure they aren't.

A

Anonymous

Sorry my stupid, agreed this is not an original made during WW2 patch, I thought you were talking about the design, again stupid me. Also the buyer that paid over 400.00 for the Indian design patch he had up,returned it for a refund after talking to Ron at Flying Tiger antiques. I have started copying the artists work,I think it is very good,and looks period.

unclegrumpy

No problem, attempting to collect painted squadron patches has always been like walking through a mine field.