• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OFFICER right or wrong?

littlebuddy

its definately the later type , due to the pat pending stamp ( or have i got it the wrong way round ??)

Carl

watchmanjimg

Vintage aside, the configuration is that of an enlisted cap. Also, look closely at the front view of the cap and the shadow of what looks to be a round (EM) cap device is evident.

fishmeok

That's very odd- I didn't think that any Flighters were made with straight wool and not OD elastique. Definitely enlisted though.

Could this be a fake?

Cheers
Mark

DiamondDave

Topper looks to be a post war "Wales" variant, applied to a base for an actual Flighter. IMHO this is a Frankencap as far as I can tell.

littlebuddy

i would like to see a view of the "visor" from underneath , is it me or does that visor look stiff ??

I have an English made US Officers service visor made from a very very similar material to that one shown

Carl

a2jacketpatches

Great Googly Moogly, that's my home town where I grew up from 6 to 18 years old, my whole family is there. Last time I was in their store I bought a cheesy wooden plaque with two WW1 Cap EGA's (longitude and latitude) and a single much earlier EGA for 8 bucks. All were glued to the board a long time ago. I popped them off and soaked in acetone for a while, cleaned them up, 400- worth of EG&A's in a jiffy!

That being said, these people aren't fakers but not saying a fake didn't find them.

What a coincidence, big deal for me considering I haven't been home in 5 years.

watchmanjimg

But must it necessarily be a "fake" even if the cover isn't original to the frame? The late 1940s EM issued cap consisted of a frame with interchangeable khaki cotton and OD wool covers for year-round wear. During the post-WW2/early KW era this cap would have been within spec for enlisted winter service wear as configured, although the back strap was likely optional.

I certainly agree that it's not being accurately represented by the seller as a WW2 officer's cap.