• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice named generals L2-B

watchmanjimg

Agree 100%, and the same applies to the Experimental Test Sample jacket belonging to the same general--especially when I just found one for less than $200. Mine lacks insignia, but the former owner is easily traced by the name on the label.

Sometimes the whim of the market perplexes me . . .

USMC_GAU-21

Could not agree more....these prices are indicative of these jackets going overseas. WOW....big dollars for not so big jackets.

Oh well, the two brothers that bought this "estate" are doing fairly well....I wonder what pittance they gave the widow to haul off all his stuff.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

r/Gy Dan

watchmanjimg

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Could not agree more....these prices are indicative of these jackets going overseas. WOW....big dollars for not so big jackets.

Oh well, the two brothers that bought this "estate" are doing fairly well....I wonder what pittance they gave the widow to haul off all his stuff.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

r/Gy Dan

You got that right. A good friend of mine runs a militaria shop and I've watched him acquire some of his stock. Of course, knowing what he paid hasn't stopped me from paying more for the same items.

Weasel_Loader

Count me in with ridiculous bidding on these jackets. Being one that never cared about autographs and who wore what, I think its way too easy to create a named nylon jacket. Slap a some original patches, name tag and rank to a nylon jacket and watch the bidding go up! Not to say these jackets were not original, I'm just saying it would be VERY easy to replicate and re-sell as a jacket with provenance. :roll:

Willy McCoy

Because of unethical auction practices a potential bidder would be skeptical of a single item. I am sure the bidders of these auctions are more secure in making bids of items with such proven provenance. All the suits and jackets are fabulous, but it's some of the second tier items that I find very interesting. The squadron patch is very cool and the two cartoons of his exploits are priceless. I wonder if a bidder representing B. Rickson or Toys McCoy has made any bids on these jackets/suits?

USMC_GAU-21

I watched last night as these items closed. I watched both sets of items from the brothers. The B-15C was WAY over the top. I would have expected the Experimental L-2 jacket with insignia to go higher then a run of the mill B-15 in size 40.

The helmets went high as well, but they were in great condition. As stated the other items were interesting, and I wonder how much of the estate went to one buyer. A shame to see it all split up. Would be nice to see it go together. Hopefully the new owner enjoys his items.

But, the prices were ridiculous.

r/Gy Dan

Willy McCoy

I watched the feeding frenzy of both buyers too and was surprised that one L-2A test sample went for so much while the other Tailor made L-2A with more regalia went for so much less. People went insane last night. I looked at the buyers and sure enough the collection went to the four corners of the Earth! Too bad, such a fine collection.

watchmanjimg

Incredible. I don't normally buy things with an eye toward resale but I'm seriously tempted to list my general's jacket on Ebay. As it happens the "Experimental Test Sample" is misleading as applied to this jacket as it was simply a privilege of rank, and besides the damn thing is snug on me anyway.

RCSignals

watchmanjimg said:
Incredible. I don't normally buy things with an eye toward resale but I'm seriously tempted to list my general's jacket on Ebay. As it happens the "Experimental Test Sample" is misleading as applied to this jacket as it was simply a privilege of rank, and besides the damn thing is snug on me anyway.

You have one of those?

You'd think 'Experimental test sample' would be just that, and go servicemen/women who could actively 'test' material in use, not just be a privilege of rank.

TankBuster

RCSignals said:
watchmanjimg said:

You have one of those?

You'd think 'Experimental test sample' would be just that, and go servicemen/women who could actively 'test' material in use, not just be a privilege of rank.

Jim is right. I have one as well that was issued to a 2 Star Gen.

RCSignals

Oh I don't doubt Jim.

I just think if these are true 'experimental test sample' jackets (presuming that means they are a new uniform item for evaluation and testing) they won't get much 'real' testing on a General. But they'll look good.

ausreenactor

Senior officers would always be the first to get kitted out. When we were trialling new jump boots the 'boss' got the first pick of styles and sizes. Rank DOES have its priviledges. I like the L-2 and the leather rank..

Couchy

RCSignals

Sure but was yours a jump unit trialling the boots and the 'boss' actively or at least occasionally jumping?

I'd suspect these air force Generals are mostly piloting wooden four legged appliances and the rear seat of a staff car.

There isn't much sense trialling and testing new kit if the target wearers never get to test it in the intended environment. Of course I'm assuming these jackets were not strictly intended for General Officer use only.

watchmanjimg

RCSignals said:
I just think if these are true 'experimental test sample' jackets (presuming that means they are a new uniform item for evaluation and testing) they won't get much 'real' testing on a General. But they'll look good.

Exactly! In any case the early L-2 design with epaulets/waist tab was already tested, standardized, and modified to delete these features by the time these general's jackets were produced. Thus, any notion of experimental usage is highly dubious. However, there are definitely legitimate test samples of various nylon jackets out there. Buzz has reproduced at least a couple of them.