• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice N-3B X large

rich

A new large Buzz N-3A (CH Masland & Sons) just went for £440 on ebay ...... still around £200 less than a new one costs I suppose ..............

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnny english said:
deeb7 said:
don't have a book here to check, but 6279G would be circa 1965.

Wouldn't a 65 have a real fur hood trim then ?

Okay, the contract was FY 1966, so end of '65, or first half of '66. Synthetic fur was first introduced on some of the N-3A's 1951/52.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's the contracts noted in Full Gear ...

• Aviators Clothing 2nd N-3A contract, synthetic fur trim.
    Reed Products 2nd, synthetic or real fur.
    Reed Products 3rd, synthetic.
    C.H. Masland, synthetic.
    Frauhauf SW Garment, synthetic or real fur.

Tim P

I am Incensed... I would have paid that for that blue one in a heartbeat. I dont understand how that escaped my favourite searches.
Eyes peeled for me please guys.....
the medium sized vintage trends one will be in their inventory for some considerable time.
Big question is, I am XL in most anything but with US Army clothing Vietnam era and post I am happy with Large long outer garments.
should I be seeking a Large or XL as these Parkas seem to come up big for layering underneath in Alaska and so forth (not a plan of mine).. am I right to focus on large?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
should I be seeking a Large or XL as these Parkas seem to come up big for layering underneath in Alaska and so forth (not a plan of mine).. am I right to focus on large?

Yes, I would size down. I had a Large, a size I can comfortably wear in a L-2B, or MA-1, and it seemed huge ... like wearing a sleeping bag.

watchmanjimg

The Heavy Zone jackets do run large. I have a Medium N-3B from the '80s that I can get away with, whereas I'm not comfortable with L-2Bs or MA-1s in this size. Would still prefer a Large but the Medium is an acceptable fit considering that in casual wear I'm unlikely to need multiple layers underneath as required by high-altitude flyers. Come to think of it, in Florida I'm unlikely to need an N-3B under any circumstances . . . :oops:

A

Anonymous

Were N-3bs ever actually used by aircrew in flight ? I've only ever seen them used on the ground in Alaska and in the Antarctic.

Incidentally, I just bought an so nylon N-3 with decal and real fur ruff from Vintage Trends and it arrived in 3 days and was WAY better than the photo they had on the website which made the parka look well used and with staining on the front. It's actually nigh on mint so I'm a happy bunny for sure.

Dave

watchmanjimg

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Were N-3bs ever actually used by aircrew in flight ? I've only ever seen them used on the ground in Alaska and in the Antarctic.

Incidentally, I just bought an so nylon N-3 with decal and real fur ruff from Vintage Trends and it arrived in 3 days and was WAY better than the photo they had on the website which made the parka look well used and with staining on the front. It's actually nigh on mint so I'm a happy bunny for sure.

Dave

I'm pleased to hear this. I've purchased at least two jackets from VintageTrends and both were much nicer than expected. Their website isn't the best, but if you take a chance it seems to pay off. :D

A

Anonymous

Here's the parka in question .............

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

Anybody able to date this for me please ? David ? Andrew ??

Dave