• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Leather Rank

RayR

I have looked everywhere I can think of...I would sure appreciate some help finding leather rank insignia to sew on the epaulettes of an A-2.
In particular, a pair of silver USAAF Colonel eagles.

And if you have any pictures you can share, it would be a great help. I have found Eastman sells them, but I'm not sold on the accuracy. And I found 1 on eBay...1 only, no pair, which claims to be authentic WWII stock. I just need a good repro.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
COL%20eastman_zpsj8uudeiu.jpg

Col%20shoulder%20rank%201_zpsw0prqfc0.jpg

watchmanjimg

The one on the bottom appears to be silver embossed on black leather, which is more appropriate for the 1950s and thereafter. Great for blue and sage nylon, not so much for the A-2.

RayR

6148th T.C.Squadron said:
Jacket patches makes those.

I don't know Jacket Patches. Is that a person, a company? can you provide a link or more info, please?

a2jacketpatches

That's just a full bird pressed into leather, the top one is a foil on thin leather. I can manage either one I'm sure.

Thanks for the plugs dudes!

RayR

a2jacketpatches said:
That's just a full bird pressed into leather, the top one is a foil on thin leather. I can manage either one I'm sure.

Thanks for the plugs dudes!

Cool. How would you describe this one: stamped? painted? foil? on leather? cloth? What's your take?

6v_zpsyxiwbuzq.jpg

ede6a225-79ec-44ab-b097-d2ecf18e298f_zps5aaatdc8.jpg

dmar836

If they turn out anything like Sean's embossed name tag/wings then you'd be quite pleased.
But mine sit unused. I haven't owned or made a jacket yet worthy enough to commit them to.
Dave

STEVE S.

noticed on one of the replies on facebook that it seems there was a right & left. did the eagle's head always face forward? just curious, inquiring minds...

a2jacketpatches

STEVE S. said:
noticed on one of the replies on facebook that it seems there was a right & left. did the eagle's head always face forward? just curious, inquiring minds...
Not sure on the details of that but in my hunt for patches etc. if he's facing right on a Navy patch I grab because it's WW1. Just a quick tip I got from sombodt a while back.

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
There is a right and left, and they should face forward when placed on the epaulets.

If done in impressed leather like the example in this thread, then they could just be switched to face forward but then the olive branch and arrows would be in the wrong talons, correct? Still haven't cheched on that die but will today, apologies.