• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My version of the 320th bomb squadron

A

Anonymous

488-1.jpg
Just a few adjustments, a little more detail.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Did you see the PBS "History Dectectives" story on the Variatonof the 320th Bomb Sqd patch????? Very cool and totally different than this version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Did you see the PBS "History Dectectives" story on the Variatonof the 320th Bomb Sqd patch????? Very cool and totally different than this version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

The two patches found in a dumpster with papers in a footlocker?

Jeff M

a2jacketpatches said:
So they are a positive ID for the 320th BS?

Yes.
They get to the positive identification at about the 13 1/2 minute mark of the show.
The person who the patches belonged to was a B24 pilot Lionel B. Potter, with the 320th.
The show found his son, who gave the history of the design.
The patches were not "official", but "they were the patch my dad and his crew came with for their group of bomber pilots". (Direct quote from the son on the show.)
Earlier on in the show, a veteran from the 320th shows a great example of an original embroidered 320th BS "flying whale" patch. He notes the patches were often sewn in Australia.
Though he didn't recognize the patch in question, they noted that the background design was identical to the "flying whale" patch he had. Looks like the same person/company did both patches.

Captain Potter's son had a drawing of the original patch design...which looks better than how it ended up on the patch. The bird is supposed to be a bald eagle...and you can see typical bald eagle white head feathers and yellow beak outlined on the original design. For some reason the entire head ended up black on the patch.

Jeff M

a2jacketpatches said:
You wouldn't have a pic of the other version would you?

I don't.
The "flying whale" patch they showed looked like the one in your photo. Same 3 shade blue background...similar stitching pattern. The same with the patch the show was about.
The drawing of the other patch, the one the show is about, can be seen on the link to the show towards the end (the show is about 14 1/2 minutes long.)

EMBLEMHUNTER

The guy that ahs one of them is willing to sell it with some of the papers etc , if interested you can contact Mike McCune at this adress,
[email protected]
He's not asking a really high price for it , but it is a really rare one for sure !
Johnny

I wish someone could find the color details for the "original" drawing of the bird in the photos , as mentioned it is somewhat different than how the actual "patch" was made .