• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Wright Field arrowhead patch

Wright Field

Your painted on Wright patch is aging beautifully! I really dig the russet color leather you used for the patch.
Thanks. I got lucky with the leather shade. The guy who did it sent me two versions: that one and one on a lighter shade of leather. This one was pretty close to the Werber’s color, but enough different to provide a little contrast. I thought I’d like the lighter shade one better but it just looked odd when laid on top of the jacket.

WingAndaPrayer

I have several patches from this company. They’re very nice layered leather

Wright Field

I have several patches from this company. They’re very nice layered leather

Yeah I know that guy. He didn’t do my patch, but he did sew the patch and name plate on my jacket. He does great work all around and the later leather ones look great. But just a little too nice/formal for the more utilitarian look I was going for.

WingAndaPrayer

View attachment 93709
Thanks, but I had a patch made by another member here a few years back. It looks great and has definitely been a conversation-starter. I’ve been asked by others about getting one so maybe next time I’ll point them your way. And maybe I’ll need another in the future!
Incidentally, yes, Jimmy’s was painted on but I’ve seen variations of the Wright Field patch that have been cloth or layers of leather, so you could do whatever version and still be historically accurate. Most I’ve seen have been painted, which is what I went with.
Those squadron patches really do attract attention. I’ve had more positive comments on mine then any other jacket I’ve ever worn. I have the layered 34th patch.

DE41377B-76DF-4D7C-B135-DF13C8C7DAD8.jpeg

John Luder

View attachment 93709
Thanks, but I had a patch made by another member here a few years back. It looks great and has definitely been a conversation-starter. I’ve been asked by others about getting one so maybe next time I’ll point them your way. And maybe I’ll need another in the future!
Incidentally, yes, Jimmy’s was painted on but I’ve seen variations of the Wright Field patch that have been cloth or layers of leather, so you could do whatever version and still be historically accurate. Most I’ve seen have been painted, which is what I went with.
I didn't realize that you were the Rusnak in other pix with the patch. Very nice. It looks like I picked the correct black and yellow for the arrowhead. Impossible to find pix of the patches decades ago.
I, too, dig that background color for future work. On the Hornet deck, it looks like the General has a shiny, new, dark A-2 and the patch is of a similar tone. But, who knows.
Cheers,
John

Wright Field

I didn't realize that you were the Rusnak in other pix with the patch. Very nice. It looks like I picked the correct black and yellow for the arrowhead. Impossible to find pix of the patches decades ago.
I, too, dig that background color for future work. On the Hornet deck, it looks like the General has a shiny, new, dark A-2 and the patch is of a similar tone. But, who knows.
Cheers,
John
Technically the body of the spearhead is supposed to be a shade of dark blue. Mine is actually blue but you’d be hard-pressed to tell because the paint looks black on the leather. If you look at the version on the airplanes X they’re all blue, though typically almost a royal blue rather than navy or midnight. I’ve only seen a handful of the authentic patches in person or in color photos and they’re all black or really close to it. It could be just the age of the paint, but I’m no expert in that sort of thing.

John Luder

Technically the body of the spearhead is supposed to be a shade of dark blue. Mine is actually blue but you’d be hard-pressed to tell because the paint looks black on the leather. If you look at the version on the airplanes X they’re all blue, though typically almost a royal blue rather than navy or midnight. I’ve only seen a handful of the authentic patches in person or in color photos and they’re all black or really close to it. It could be just the age of the paint, but I’m no expert in that sort of thing.
Thanks for the info. The patch on the Doolittle mannequin in the B-25 diorama that I saw somewhere on line is really a light looking blue. I was wondering about the planes themselves.
In my limited experience with painting (I painted houses between colleges), but I'm no pigmentation expert, a blueish will fade to a lighter, washed-out shade, but black won't turn blue.
John

John Luder

These photos were taken at the Wright Patterson USAF museum . I’m posting them for you guys for reference purposes if needed. View attachment 93787View attachment 93789
Thanks very, very much.
I love this forum. I hope I don't get a lifetime ban like I did on another military forum. But they couldn't take a joke, so, you know.
That's the diorama I was thinking of, and a different angle of the A-2 in the display case.
IDK how tall the mannequin is, but the General was 5'4".
I'm not being critical, but I'm a trained observer, which was easier before I became a one-eyed Jack.
There is a stitched shadow of a rectangle above the patch that's about the shape of a gold-stamped Navy name plate (like the sub and PT boat skippers wore).
And it looks like there's another shadow of another rectangle on the right breast.
Doolittle was wearing a chocolate or dark od shirt, probably with a black tie, on the Hornet. I say black because the 1941 change in regs specifically allowed for the continued wearing of old uniform pieces until they wore out.
The typeface on the name plate is modern, sans-serif.
As I said, I'm not complaining or being critical of the exhibit. I hope no one is offended by my observations. You may be right, I may be crazy.
It's a nice looking jacket and they got the embroidered Lt.Col. on the shoulders.
Mahalo nui loa.
John

B-Man2

Thanks very, very much.
I love this forum. I hope I don't get a lifetime ban like I did on another military forum. But they couldn't take a joke, so, you know.
That's the diorama I was thinking of, and a different angle of the A-2 in the display case.
IDK how tall the mannequin is, but the General was 5'4".
I'm not being critical, but I'm a trained observer, which was easier before I became a one-eyed Jack.
There is a stitched shadow of a rectangle above the patch that's about the shape of a gold-stamped Navy name plate (like the sub and PT boat skippers wore).
And it looks like there's another shadow of another rectangle on the right breast.
Doolittle was wearing a chocolate or dark od shirt, probably with a black tie, on the Hornet. I say black because the 1941 change in regs specifically allowed for the continued wearing of old uniform pieces until they wore out.
The typeface on the name plate is modern, sans-serif.
As I said, I'm not complaining or being critical of the exhibit. I hope no one is offended by my observations. You may be right, I may be crazy.
It's a nice looking jacket and they got the embroidered Lt.Col. on the shoulders.
Mahalo nui loa.
John
John
Here’s the entire photo which sort of shows the height of the mannequin.
3E291A49-4A88-4CD0-871D-BE26AD7E95E0.jpeg
72994307-3A79-4780-BEDD-C0B45B3D28CD.jpeg

John Luder

B-Man,
Next time you're in the Camarillo area, let me know, and I can get you passes to our CAF museum.
Same goes for alla you cats when you're in So.Cal. We're open Fri, Sat, and Sun. Flights can be purchased online.
I'm 5'7", probably 5-9 in these rough outs. Purely a rough guess, but I'd say that mannequin is nearer to 5'7" to 5'9" comparing apples to bombers.
It makes no difference in the world, but an eye (one's all I have left) for detail is one of my curses, especially when I'm wrong. Which my wife frequently suggests. But who cares, she's still my training wife. Is 41 years too soon for a change?
Thanks for the pix.
John
IMG_7210.jpg

Wright Field

B-Man,
Next time you're in the Camarillo area, let me know, and I can get you passes to our CAF museum.
Same goes for alla you cats when you're in So.Cal. We're open Fri, Sat, and Sun. Flights can be purchased online.
I'm 5'7", probably 5-9 in these rough outs. Purely a rough guess, but I'd say that mannequin is nearer to 5'7" to 5'9" comparing apples to bombers.
It makes no difference in the world, but an eye (one's all I have left) for detail is one of my curses, especially when I'm wrong. Which my wife frequently suggests. But who cares, she's still my training wife. Is 41 years too soon for a change?
Thanks for the pix.
John
View attachment 93807
Here’s me and Jimmy and our jackets. I probably mentioned somewhere here that I’m the historian for Wright-Patt, which is why I wanted that patch. While the Museum isn’t part of my responsibility, I’m over there all the time for tours and such. About the two jackets discussed above: the one in the case is authentic but from a little later in WWII, as far as we can tell. The one on Jimmy is a reproduction, and not a very good one. It’s out in the open with nothing to protect it other than the hand rail keeping people back. I don’t know the brand, but it’s not particularly authentic, as noted above. The patch isn’t well done either. But the jacket isn’t really the point of that display, so additional time/effort/expense of making that perfect probably wasn’t a priority.

Attachments

• 66CC7454-9834-425B-B801-165AA940C38A.jpeg
    66CC7454-9834-425B-B801-165AA940C38A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78

B-Man2

Here’s me and Jimmy and our jackets. I probably mentioned somewhere here that I’m the historian for Wright-Patt, which is why I wanted that patch. While the Museum isn’t part of my responsibility, I’m over there all the time for tours and such. About the two jackets discussed above: the one in the case is authentic but from a little later in WWII, as far as we can tell. The one on Jimmy is a reproduction, and not a very good one. It’s out in the open with nothing to protect it other than the hand rail keeping people back. I don’t know the brand, but it’s not particularly authentic, as noted above. The patch isn’t well done either. But the jacket isn’t really the point of that display, so additional time/effort/expense of making that perfect probably wasn’t a priority.
Ohhh man…. Now you’ve done it !
Are we going to have a shit load of questions for you ! ;)

John Luder

Great pic of your bad self. I get it; the priority was the plane and the overall presentation. I frequently focus on a tree and miss the forest.
But I'm clearly not attuned to the ins and outs of bomber jackets; while the Doolittle jacket looks ok, I can't see where it fails, except the length of the collars.
That's why I'm here; to learn.
Did Doolittle's plane not have a name or mascot?
Rock on, y'all.
John

B-Man2

Thanks for the info. The patch on the Doolittle mannequin in the B-25 diorama that I saw somewhere on line is really a light looking blue. I was wondering about the planes themselves.
In my limited experience with painting (I painted houses between colleges), but I'm no pigmentation expert, a blueish will fade to a lighter, washed-out shade, but black won't turn blue.
John
John
I just found a colorized photo of Doolittle . The colors of his patch are very similar to the original jacket and patch on the mannequin in the glass display at Wright Patterson. See below
1107C613-6E0A-4550-A33A-1CE5B8DF6F48.png
87FE43F2-AA65-43EC-AEB6-77CC3D3C9BA9.png

John Luder

I saw that lower patch on an auction site, but wasn't too sure of its authenticity, but I used it for a model.
I'm thinking of painting a small one to stitch onto a baseball-type hat. Right above the "Old Guys Rule" motto.

B-Man2

I saw that lower patch on an auction site, but wasn't too sure of its authenticity, but I used it for a model.
I'm thinking of painting a small one to stitch onto a baseball-type hat. Right above the "Old Guys Rule" motto.
That would look cool .
Now you’ve got me looking for a good quality repro :)