• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a genuine G-1 + cuffs and waitband issues

Brettafett

Originals are great, nothing beats an original.
And an original in mint condition at a reasonable sum... WIN!

However, as is so often the case, no one speaks about the costs and frustrations of refurbishing or fixing these jackets - properly.
Until you have it in hand, it's hard to say, besides looking at pics and trusting the owners comments.

Good, authentic knit parts, zippers, mouton fur etc. are not cheap, nor are so easy to come by. Costs add up.
Nor are they simple to install correctly. I do not agree it's no big deal.
But hey, you may have someone in your city who can do the work properly, or with a local tailor.. You may get lucky.

How's the leather? Any rot, thinning areas?
Zipper tape & stitching?
Lining? Tears, loose stitching?
Are you wanting to wear the jacket regularly or only occasionally, mainly as a collectors piece.

Also, your preferences.

Are you a 44 or a 46? These USN jackets are more forgiving, and in some ways more comfy than A-2s.
But sizing still varies.

If you are spending a few hundred ++ on an original, are you ok installing cheap knits and a cheap zipper?
Or would you want to make sure you get authentic knits & zipper for the contract? $$$$$
Otherwise you might risk devaluing your investment.
And do you have someone who knows these jackets and can assess potential issues (stitching, liner tears, elastics, etc) and undertake the work, without causing more damage (creating new stitch holes, or overstitching, using different colour thread etc)?

Do you mind musky odours or stains? Are you a smoker? If so, maybe it's OK.
Remember, these jackets have been worn by naval aviators, in and out of cockpits... And cockpits can be sweaty. The older the jacket, the more likely it was used as workwear...
Many chaps dont mind all that, just wear the damn thing as it comes. All good.

If you do need to clean the jacket, there are various ways, some odours are hard to remove, may need Ozone treatment.

Guys sometimes downplay repos, because there are many originals still to be grabbed at good prices.
Yes and no. Later model G-1s more so, M-422As and pre 60s, less so, especially in decent condition and reasonable prices.
They can be found, but you have to be patient and you best know what you're looking for.

Originals may be an investment, but resale is not great for USN jackets.
Its worth what someones prepared to pay.

Point is, go in with your eyes open.
Ask questions, get detailed pics.
Try are get an idea of what may need fixing/ replacing, if anything before you purchase.
Remember - Its your money.

It takes time to learn the nuances of these jackets, originals an repros. Experience costs time and money. Advice is cheap.

Until you have a better handle on what you want, what your specific requirements are...
I'd advise not to spend too much money, not get something that requires a lot of work.

AVI Leather is a stones throw from you. You could try one of their G-1s or better, their M-422A... even just for fit.
Authentic-ish patterns, genuine mouton, all the details for a decent repro, at a very affordable price. Returnable.
A lot of info can be gained, for the costs to return the jacket.
Or keep it. A new, clean jacket that you can wear (only issue I ever had was a button came loose one time, easily fixed myself)...
Then, keep a close watch on originals for sale, when the right one comes along. Pounce.

Whatever you decide, the chaps here are always ready to help and advise.
Looking forward to seeing what you get.

Last edited:

Erwin

Good advice Brett, however replacing knits and zipper is not a rocket science in my opinion. Sorry Peter, I haven't spotted that a knitted sleeve cuff has an issue - still it is a great wearable jacket after a minor work. Working on knits is not a problem, working on a liner replacement is a different story ;)

Skyranger

I think Brettafett is right, we have no idea about what really want Liffa:
- a jacket to wear every day, so must fit perfectly for modern life?
- a collector to wear sometime, with all the possible disadvantages ?
- Does he have a minimum of knowledge about WW2 jackets, or will it be its first one?

You guys are experts so choose the very old model, but perhaps it will be a disaster for Liffa who seems to be newbie, and it would be wiser to buy a good replica to progress step by step with the idea of then moving on to the authentic one.

My two cents :)

Last edited:

Brettafett

• Just trying to help you avoid potholes, having driven over a few myself.

If you know how to do the refurb work (and what to look for), then alls well & good. If not, you need to make sure you find someone who can do it properly.
Especially if its an old classic, like this AN 6552.
Everyone will say 'yes' for the business, but once the works done, you cant 'undone' it.
Have they worked on 'bomber jackets' before? ;)
Check the thread they use its the same type & colour as on the jacket, is it cotton or nylon?
Will they be able to use the same stitch holes? Attach the waistband with the correct tension?

That AN looks lovely... Are you sure if will fit? Its a wartime 42, you're a 43 chest...
General rule of thumb is to go one size up from your chest, minimum. Depending on body type, two sizes up to be comfortable.

Check in with @Thomas he has collected a bunch of fun jackets and I'm sure he could help you find a 44 or 46 for a reasonable sum.

If you want decent knits, I'd recommend Headwind Mfg, MASH Japan or Eastman UK.
Make sure the waistband is the single ply, rib-rack type, as was used on all early USN jackets (same as on that AN above) .
Cuffs are standard.

Liffa

Thanks for all these comments, Brettafett and others. Much appreciated! I do have an ozone machine at home, but thats about it :)

I live in a small town without tailors etc. and I have zero experience of these things, a total newbie. I happened to see a G1 Avirex jacket a couple a weeks ago, 80s-90s jacket with some patches. It looked real cool I thought, but I lost the bidding luckily. After that I did some research (mainly on this forum) and found out about these original G1s, not really being that expensive compared to the repros.

Anyway, i am not looking for a big expensive project. I am looking for a nice jacket that i can wear, more or less on a daily basis during spring and autumn. I like the idea of an original, I would probably choose an original with faux fur collar over a repro with the real fur collar. I would prefer a patched original if I had the choice I believe.
However, my future G1 must be in good condition and not look horrible on me as I am planing on wearing it alot.

The seller with the AN6552 got back to me saying he has another G1, not yet listed for sale. He would let me know more on sunday when he is back from holiday. I belive it is a jacket with real fur at least, since thats what I asked for.

I also have some offers from members of this forum that look interesting. So definitely not worried about getting a nice G1. The AN6552 I will probably not buy as more and more problems with the jacket seem to appear...and its a size 42 only. If it was a really good find, maybe someone else would already have bought it directly from his physical shop in Stockholm :)

I know where this is all gonna end. I like collecting things and this could become a real addiction, hahaha.

London Cabbie

Originals are great, nothing beats an original.
And an original in mint condition at a reasonable sum... WIN!

However, as is so often the case, no one speaks about the costs and frustrations of refurbishing or fixing these jackets - properly.
Until you have it in hand, it's hard to say, besides looking at pics and trusting the owners comments.

Good, authentic knit parts, zippers, mouton fur etc. are not cheap, nor are so easy to come by. Costs add up.
Nor are they simple to install correctly. I do not agree it's no big deal.
But hey, you may have someone in your city who can do the work properly, or with a local tailor.. You may get lucky.

How's the leather? Any rot, thinning areas?
Zipper tape & stitching?
Lining? Tears, loose stitching?
Are you wanting to wear the jacket regularly or only occasionally, mainly as a collectors piece.

Also, your preferences.

Are you a 44 or a 46? These USN jackets are more forgiving, and in some ways more comfy than A-2s.
But sizing still varies.

If you are spending a few hundred ++ on an original, are you ok installing cheap knits and a cheap zipper?
Or would you want to make sure you get authentic knits & zipper for the contract? $$$$$
Otherwise you might risk devaluing your investment.
And do you have someone who knows these jackets and can assess potential issues (stitching, liner tears, elastics, etc) and undertake the work, without causing more damage (creating new stitch holes, or overstitching, using different colour thread etc)?

Do you mind musky odours or stains? Are you a smoker? If so, maybe it's OK.
Remember, these jackets have been worn by naval aviators, in and out of cockpits... And cockpits can be sweaty. The older the jacket, the more likely it was used as workwear...
Many chaps dont mind all that, just wear the damn thing as it comes. All good.

If you do need to clean the jacket, there are various ways, some odours are hard to remove, may need Ozone treatment.

Guys sometimes downplay repos, because there are many originals still to be grabbed at good prices.
Yes and no. Later model G-1s more so, M-422As and pre 60s, less so, especially in decent condition and reasonable prices.
They can be found, but you have to be patient and you best know what you're looking for.

Originals may be an investment, but resale is not great for USN jackets.
Its worth what someones prepared to pay.

Point is, go in with your eyes open.
Ask questions, get detailed pics.
Try are get an idea of what may need fixing/ replacing, if anything before you purchase.
Remember - Its your money.

It takes time to learn the nuances of these jackets, originals an repros. Experience costs time and money. Advice is cheap.

Until you have a better handle on what you want, what your specific requirements are...
I'd advise not to spend too much money, not get something that requires a lot of work.

AVI Leather is a stones throw from you. You could try one of their G-1s or better, their M-422A... even just for fit.
Authentic-ish patterns, genuine mouton, all the details for a decent repro, at a very affordable price. Returnable.
A lot of info can be gained, for the costs to return the jacket.
Or keep it. A new, clean jacket that you can wear (only issue I ever had was a button came loose one time, easily fixed myself)...
Then, keep a close watch on originals for sale, when the right one comes along. Pounce.

Whatever you decide, the chaps here are always ready to help and advise.
Looking forward to seeing what you get.
Bang on the money, for those of us NOT in the USA…

Pilot

Thanks for all these comments, Brettafett and others. Much appreciated! I do have an ozone machine at home, but thats about it :)

I live in a small town without tailors etc. and I have zero experience of these things, a total newbie. I happened to see a G1 Avirex jacket a couple a weeks ago, 80s-90s jacket with some patches. It looked real cool I thought, but I lost the bidding luckily. After that I did some research (mainly on this forum) and found out about these original G1s, not really being that expensive compared to the repros.

Anyway, i am not looking for a big expensive project. I am looking for a nice jacket that i can wear, more or less on a daily basis during spring and autumn. I like the idea of an original, I would probably choose an original with faux fur collar over a repro with the real fur collar. I would prefer a patched original if I had the choice I believe.
However, my future G1 must be in good condition and not look horrible on me as I am planing on wearing it alot.

The seller with the AN6552 got back to me saying he has another G1, not yet listed for sale. He would let me know more on sunday when he is back from holiday. I belive it is a jacket with real fur at least, since thats what I asked for.

I also have some offers from members of this forum that look interesting. So definitely not worried about getting a nice G1. The AN6552 I will probably not buy as more and more problems with the jacket seem to appear...and its a size 42 only. If it was a really good find, maybe someone else would already have bought it directly from his physical shop in Stockholm :)

I know where this is all gonna end. I like collecting things and this could become a real addiction, hahaha.
I tried to buy it… sold! This jacket was even with all its „flaws“.. a good deal… too late for me.
101% certain it will resurface very soon but with a legit premium .
A little already totally „beaten up“ side note…
„ you only get what you ( are prepared to ) pay for… if you pay peanuts… get monkeys or at best the shells“…
Edit.. plus I have all needed parts, knits and zipper in stock
:-(

Pilot

IMG_0748.png

Liffa

I tried to buy it… sold! This jacket was even with all its „flaws“.. a good You tried to buy the Andeal… too late for me.
101% certain it will resurface very soon but with a legit premium .
A little already totally „beaten up“ side note…
„ you only get what you ( are prepared to ) pay for… if you pay peanuts… get monkeys or at best the shells“…
Edit.. plus I have all needed parts, knits and zipper in stock
:-(
You tried to buy the AN6552 but it was sold? It was not sold two hours ago and has been for sale at least for a month. Someone else reading this thread, thinking it was a great deal, must have bought it then. It was not for me, but I realise that posting good deals on a public forum might not be the best idea if you are thinking about getting the deals yourself haha. Hope you find another one.

Pilot

You tried to buy the AN6552 but it was sold? It was not sold two hours ago and has been for sale at least for a month. Someone else reading this thread, thinking it was a great deal, must have bought it then. It was not for me, but I realise that posting good deals on a public forum might not be the best idea if you are thinking about getting the deals yourself haha. Hope you find another one.
See my screenshot…
I contacted them… sold…
Yes …it was a very good deal…for an AN6552? In this condition and size? Wow!.
Sure someone here snipped it away .
Hope he thanks you…
And yes .. don’t disclose too much if its a deal and if you’re about to buy it. … or ask via pm people you trust… a learning process /curve…
But yesssss a damn good deal..

Liffa

See my screenshot…
I contacted them… sold…
Yes …it was a very good deal…for an AN6552? In this condition and size? Wow!.
Sure someone here snipped it away .
Hope he thanks you…
And yes .. don’t disclose too much if its a deal and if you’re about to buy it. … or ask via pm people you trust… a learning process /curve…
But yesssss a damn good deal..
Haha. Maybe I should just buy that cheap brill bros with leather cuffs for 30usd instead and save up for a harley chopper instead.

Pilot

Haha. Maybe I should just buy that cheap brill bros with leather cuffs for 30usd instead and save up for a harley chopper instead.
Its all about priorities and willingness of spending budget..
A jacket can be worn …but a Harley can be ridden .. with a jacket…
I am confident that the besaid AN6552 is already worth a fair good portion or down payment of a Harley.

As a crying note… actually no AN6552 of this quality and size (even with knits snd zipper to be replaced) available/offered nowhere nowadays … unless you are happy to dig quite deep in you pocket.. even below your ba..s.

Last edited:

Liffa

I am confident that the besaid AN6552 is already worth a fair good portion or down payment of a Harley.

As a crying note… actually no AN6552 of this quality and size (even with knits snd zipper to be replaced) available/offered nowhere nowadays … unless you are happy to dig quite deep in you pocket.. even below your ba..s.
Hahaha! omg, I wish I had won that cheap Avirex auction. Then I would never have found and missed this deal.

Maybe you feel the same way

Pilot

Hahaha! omg, I wish I had won that cheap Avirex auction. Then I would never have found and missed this deal.

Maybe you feel the same way
For real collectors or for “go for the real thing fans “ …Avirex is just a disguisement carnival costume… at best a glamorous Hollywood movie supplier ( with all due respect and besides …I love the entertaining value of Top Gun and Maverick fairytales)… but Avirex is not one of my choices on the list….I would be surprised if I am the only one here..
I know the rare good things are out there…just need to located them, be fast and smart… dont ( bean) count.. “Go for it”

Shanghai-Mayne

I missed a full set uniform of a magnificent French unit, due to lack of knowledge, it is not something I can easily go over it, by acquire an Avirex jacket. You see after a decade, I didn’t forgot the thing.

Pilot

I missed a full set uniform of a magnificent French unit, due to lack of knowledge, it is not something I can easily go over it, by acquire an Avirex jacket. You see after a decade, I didn’t forgot the thing.
Sorry about that.
If you are looking for real vet items from the French Indochina or any other French involvement.
Please pm. Happy to assist and direct you to from vet. sourcings.

Liffa

”I am confident that the besaid AN6552 is already worth a fair good portion or down payment of a Harley.”

So a fair price for this kind of rare ww2 jacket would be what? 1000 usd, 2000usd or more?

mulceber

”I am confident that the besaid AN6552 is already worth a fair good portion or down payment of a Harley.”

So a fair price for this kind of rare ww2 jacket would be what? 1000 usd, 2000usd or more?
Yeah, that sounds about right. Moreso the Air Force A-2 jackets than Navy jackets, but those have been climbing in price as well.