• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a genuine G-1 + cuffs and waitband issues

Erwin

I've seen few people who wore 40's and 50's USN/USMC flight jackets with well worn fur collars and they looked really cool. I'm sure that also if they wear other stuff, they still look cool ;) It is up to person and how they wear flight jacket.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Would the collar on a coat like this be left in original/current condition?
This one specifically not in my opinion, the damage is located in a critical area (behind the neck), the fur looks already rotten and will break more eventually if somebody wears it. The jacket has no provenance, so doesn't make much sense buying it for display in that condition, it would be a different story if it was id'ed to someone or patched. I think the potential buyer of this jacket would be someone who wants wearing it and most likely will take in account the cost of repairs in order to make it wearable. Probably between 400-600$ extra depending on the quality of materials (fur, knits, original zipper?) + hand labor and it will never be original again.

CaptainJack

One of the things that has me scratching my head about with all these old coats on ebay and here on the forum is how is the coat is issued without name badges or the holes through the
leather where the badge had been.
I know at CGAS Brooklyn you didn't get a G1 until you quailed as AC or Pilot, and it was always issued with your name badge attached. It was the only way to identify the person wearing the coat.
While you had the coat on your rank and rate was covered, hence the name tag. In all the years I was at CGAS I don't think I ever saw someone wearing a coat that didn't have at least a name badge
and the vast majority had patches from prior units and the current one sewed on the coat somewhere. It was accepted and condoned to decorate your G1 with unit patches and it was the only personalization you
could do to your uniform.
Just a curiosity.
Jack

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

One of the things that has me scratching my head about with all these old coats on ebay and here on the forum is how is the coat is issued without name badges or the holes through the
leather where the badge had been.
I know at CGAS Brooklyn you didn't get a G1 until you quailed as AC or Pilot, and it was always issued with your name badge attached. It was the only way to identify the person wearing the coat.
While you had the coat on your rank and rate was covered, hence the name tag. In all the years I was at CGAS I don't think I ever saw someone wearing a coat that didn't have at least a name badge
and the vast majority had patches from prior units and the current one sewed on the coat somewhere. It was accepted and condoned to decorate your G1 with unit patches and it was the only personalization you
could do to your uniform.
Just a curiosity.
Jack
Every branch is different so are the bases, each one has different priorities, especially during wartime. The priority during WWII was having enough supply of jackets for the aircrews, as pressurized cockpits were a rare thing 80 years ago.