• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B Skyline 1960

USMC_GAU-21

Here is the other early L-2B I just received in the mail. It is a Skyline. Has a very nice stencil, the epps are in good condition. Too bad the name tag was removed but the MAC patch is still present and from what I can tell original. Jacket shows honest wear. It has been washed as it is shrunk up pretty bad. But, still a very "heavy" weight L-2 for its size.

Tag:

Skyline Clothing Corp
Large
MIL-J-7448D
AF 36(600)-8818 11 AUG 1960

4395470193_d93e3f5b38_b.jpg

4395476183_f3debf60ba_b.jpg

4395474939_6d12594fb4_b.jpg

4396240098_dc11da3f99_b.jpg

4396241654_867bbce5ec_b.jpg

4396245334_76cb42bf32_b.jpg

watchmanjimg

Here's one of my '60 Skylines. The body length on this example isn't too bad. My other one is probably the jacket George just mentioned, and it's a little shorter. Sorry I don't have any pics at the moment.

SkylineDL-2B001.jpg
SkylineDL-2B002.jpg
SkylineDL-2B003.jpg

USMC_GAU-21

Great looking L-2B Jim. Boy that SAC patch has nice color! and a COL!

Sweet jacket! Looks like a nice daily wear.

r/Dan

rich

Can I ask if there is a maker which is known to run longer in the body? Or is it always hit and miss? Thanks.

watchmanjimg

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Great looking L-2B Jim. Boy that SAC patch has nice color! and a COL!

Sweet jacket! Looks like a nice daily wear.

r/Dan

Thanks, Dan! This one came in a grouping including COL Adams' helmet bag, K-2B flightsuit, and three scarves. The '69-dated bag has his name stenciled on it and features an inspection tag with stamped dates ranging from '72-'73. Interestingly, it has a GP strap clipped to the handles with a '72 contract date. Usually these are dated from the Korean War period as there must have been many thousands produced.

Unfortunately I don't wear this one due to the rank and Command Pilot wings, but I don't fret with all the others lying around here to choose from. :D

watchmanjimg

rich said:
Can I ask if there is a maker which is known to run longer in the body? Or is it always hit and miss? Thanks.

You can ask whatever you like, Rich, and you may even get an answer. :D

Seriously though, in my opinion there is a system of sorts by which I've had decent success predicting body length in L-2Bs. Check out this earlier thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5932&hilit=+length

Below are my specific comments. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please note that all bets are off if the jacket has been machine-washed, which is the case with some of the Ebay offerings out there.

The L-2B design began to change noticeably with the introduction of the MIL-J-7448D of 11 August 1960, which lacks the oxygen mask tab of its predecessors and also has a reversible design incorporating an orange lining. Subsequent models lack the winged-star USAF decal on the left shoulder. A 1965 Alpha Industries contract eliminated the epaulets but retained the waist tab, and later that same year the tab was also deleted (MIL-J-7448G, 13 September 1965). This design lasted until 1970, when the pocket flaps came back. The zippers were also changed from blackened brass to plain aluminum. We can only assume that the pocket flaps were determined to be a practical necessity while the epaulets were merely a cosmetic feature (although I personally wish the original design was retained).

Aside from the stylistic changes to the L-2B, it has been my observation that the jacket's fit has changed over the years to the point where certain contracts are more or less likely to fit well. For instance, I have found that L-2Bs produced in 1964 and the later 1965 contract (without waist tab) consistently run longer in the body than their predecessors. Earlier models run short in my experience (although I've heard that the 7448B produced by Rolen Sportswear runs a bit longer), as do later versions except those produced in 1969 and certain 1970 contracts. The foregoing can hardly be characterized as an exhaustive scientific study, but I have yet to be disappointed with the fit of an L-2B purchased according to my formula.

deand

I like the idea of the SAC patch on that L-2B. I've thought of adding one to one of my very few budget repros and wasn't sure if they were displayed on jackets that way.

dean

USMC_GAU-21

Dean, where did your avatar go?

Yes, that SAC patch is in the right spot and looks great and in line with all of the other jackets I have seen.

r/Dan

watchmanjimg

Yes, the major command patch typically goes on the right breast if worn at all. This one is original to the jacket and of particular interest due to its early larger size and color scheme. I had another large SAC patch on blue felt, which I still regret trading to a fellow collector. :(

USMC_GAU-21

Jim,

Bummer as the SAC patch on felt is a great one.

Still a nice jacket you have there. and, yes I know you get to pick from a "few" jackets when you go out.... :p

r/Gy Dan

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
Very nice & interesting jacket. This is the first orange lined example I've seen with the shoulder decal too.

Actually, it was the first and only orange-lined jacket produced with a decal. Subsequent models lacked the decal, possibly due to concurrent use by the Army. The D model L-2B is super cool!

USMC_GAU-21

Yes I realized that when I saw it. Could not believe another collector did not pick up on that and force the jacket price way up.

But, Jim you are correct, the stencil went by the way side when the Army started using this jacket as well as the USAF in theater.

USN/USMC had the WEP and the early CWU-36P.

r/Gy Dan