• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karl Ort 1935 Catalog

bjoy

Karl's aviation catalog from 1935 in two parts using PDF to hold the images. Very few jacket pictures (one page in the second PDF).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6uy1SAhZZYxQmJsQXFjakhKbU0/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6uy1SAhZZYxellsdzNQYlotYms/edit?usp=sharing

Here is Karl Ort about age 58 with a friend. Image/caption appeared in many newspapers in 1954.

8547857362_863f18a30c.jpg

Here is an image from the catalog of the seven full-time employees. I am guessing the guy in the suit is Karl himself.

8547858648_4e89c83162_z.jpg

MikeyB-17

That's fascinating reading. You can have a 48" bomb (just add explosive!) for $2.47! Imagine that today!

zoomer

Something tells me Karl is not in the picture. More likely it is he behind the desk on the "order from Ort" page. The man at lower center is too old - Karl lived from 1896-1990. He began as a WWI pilot and was a barnstormer in the early '20s. One of his businesses was delivering sample cigars by parachute(!).

Fedora Lounge said:
One of the first local pilots, Karl Ort, became known nationwide as a seller of surplus aircraft parts and supplies. Mr. Ort was born December 19, 1896, the son of John C. and Martha Ort. He was a 1914 graduate of William Penn High School. He was well known by his friends and acquaintances for his long white beard. Known nationally as a pioneer of aviation, he was the 996th pilot registered in the United States and the 12th registered in Pennsylvania. He flew in the Air Corps in World War I. He later became a founding member of the Daedalians, a nationwide air corps club for World War I veteran pilots. He was called as a military advisor in World War II. Mr. Ort was the founder and president of the oldest aviation supply house in existence, Surplus Trader, Inc. He was a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. He died on December 26, 1990.

bjoy

zoomer said:
The man at lower center is too old

You are probably correct as the captioned picture from 1954 shows him with dark hair on the sides, while the older picture circa 1935 is of a man already gray there.