• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just noticed something. Maybe old news to you guys.

tgd31968

TVland is re-running Hogans Heros on Monday nights. I am watching it now, and they are newer episodes. Kincheleo is replaced by another guy...
Anyway, I remember carter's jacket being all flaked and worn in the earlier episodes. Now, in the new ones, he is wearing a much less worn jacket, with 2 exterior pockets that are not B-3 shaped, nor are they B-6 or zipped D-1. Obviously they must have decided to have him stop wearing an original and knocked out a costume shop version.

Terry

T-Bolt

That's an interesting observation, Terry. I haven't seen any re-runs of Hogans Heros for a while.....but I do like that show. I think I will check it out on my cable schedule.

Ted

tgd31968

They are running it here on Comcast in Michigan at about 1 or 2 AM most nights, then they do a marathon during prime time on Mondays all on TV Land.

I had a chance to watch a few more, and it is definitley a costume shop jacket. The shearling is brown at the waist, and is dark cream with brown streaks at the collar. The pattern is noticeably wrong. And the previous poster is correct, Kinch's replacement is Sgt. Washington. He is wearing a cloth flight jacket, with an oxygen tab on each side of the chest. I forgot if it was a B-15 style pocket or B-10. Will have to see another episode.

Terry

tgd31968

I took some pics today. Not very good, but you can see that carter is wearing the newer jacket. If you look, you can see the thin line of white fur at the top of the left side pocket. The pocket on the right is the same, and both are exterior pockets sewn to the outside of the jacket.
Also, Kinch's replacment is Baker, not Washington. Kenneth Washington is the actors real name. He was on the show 1970 and 1971 so that is the era.
I got a shot of his B-15 too. It has leather tabs on both sides of the chest.
Anyway below are the pics. They are not that great.

Terry
[imgtag]http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tgd31968/[/imgtag]

update: can't seem to get this picture thing to work right. Sorry.

I have been watching that channel too. It was great to watch Hogans Heroes again. Yes, Carter is wearing a much newer jacket. Hogans seems different too. Could just be the years since I have watched and, as discussed on another thread, see it in color again.

rich

tgd31968 said:
Just out of curiosity, can anyone SEE the pics I tried to post? I can't.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry, for me your link doesn't become 'live' when I put the cursor over it, and if I paste the address into the browser it just opens up photobucket's splash page, so I can't see your pics. I don't have the know-how to know-how.....................

tgd31968

rich said:
tgd31968 said:
Just out of curiosity, can anyone SEE the pics I tried to post? I can't.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry, for me your link doesn't become 'live' when I put the cursor over it, and if I paste the address into the browser it just opens up photobucket's splash page, so I can't see your pics. I don't have the know-how to know-how.....................

How about this link?

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh27 ... hh%20pics/

Vcruiser

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

Vcruiser

Open your post on forum...
Open PhotoBucket and go to the photo that you want to post....
Left click the "img" link...then right click on it. A chart will come up...left click "Copy" ....then move PhotoBucket screen over(by holding click on top PB banner)to reveal your VLJ forum post screen underneath..left click on forum post...then right click..and the chart will come back up...left click on "paste" and the photo link will appear on your post. Hit submit at bottom of forum post. The photo will appear on your new post. Then click off your PhotoBucket screen.
Van

Hamsterbear

I can't believe I'm discussing "Hogans Heroes" here...
but Idid grow up watching it on TV when it first aired, along with "Twelve O'Clock High", so maybe these shows planted the seed for A-2's and crusher hats..
anyway, there is an episode where someone ID's Hogan as someone who blew up a bridge, and the Gestapo guy tries to photograph him to compare faces with his witness, after his photo is taken Hogan has to prove there is another man that looks like him. While playing chess, and being watched by Schultz and the Gestapo guy, he drops a chess piece, bends over to pick it up, and Newkirk sits in his seat wearing an IDENTICAL A-2 and crusher hat, allowing Hogan to go to a public party for a Field Marshall, meeting Klink and the Gestapo guy, who think it's Hogan, but they are told it is someone else as Hogan scams the field Marshall into believing he knows him as a boy years earlier. Klink and the Gestapo guy rush back to camp where Hogan again switches with Newkirk, proving he was there all night. So, that's two scenes where two A-2's are in the same shot, proving that these were made by the costume dept. Also, the lining is a purple-ish rayon type, and the jacket is very thin- probably to keep cool under hot stage lighting all day. I've heard that it is supposed to be the same jacket Sinatra wore in "Von Ryans Express", but maybe several were made for frank as well? Didn't the current "Indy Jacket" maker make about 30 for the production? Gotta have multiple props for continuity if one gets damaged.
-B

tgd31968

Hamsterbear said:
I can't believe I'm discussing "Hogans Heroes" here...
but Idid grow up watching it on TV when it first aired, along with "Twelve O'Clock High", so maybe these shows planted the seed for A-2's and crusher hats..
anyway, there is an episode where someone ID's Hogan as someone who blew up a bridge, and the Gestapo guy tries to photograph him to compare faces with his witness, after his photo is taken Hogan has to prove there is another man that looks like him. While playing chess, and being watched by Schultz and the Gestapo guy, he drops a chess piece, bends over to pick it up, and Newkirk sits in his seat wearing an IDENTICAL A-2 and crusher hat, allowing Hogan to go to a public party for a Field Marshall, meeting Klink and the Gestapo guy, who think it's Hogan, but they are told it is someone else as Hogan scams the field Marshall into believing he knows him as a boy years earlier. Klink and the Gestapo guy rush back to camp where Hogan again switches with Newkirk, proving he was there all night. So, that's two scenes where two A-2's are in the same shot, proving that these were made by the costume dept. Also, the lining is a purple-ish rayon type, and the jacket is very thin- probably to keep cool under hot stage lighting all day. I've heard that it is supposed to be the same jacket Sinatra wore in "Von Ryans Express", but maybe several were made for frank as well? Didn't the current "Indy Jacket" maker make about 30 for the production? Gotta have multiple props for continuity if one gets damaged.
-B

I think it comes up because for many of us, it may have started the jacket fetish. I know it did for me. I wanted an A-2 when I was a kid after watching Hogan. I remember getting a cloth jacket when I was about 11-12 that was in no way a flight jacket, but it had a fake fur collar, so it became my "b-3" in my playing. It would be 75 degrees out, and I would have that winter jacket on playing out in the 1973 dodge van my brother had because it was big enough to "sit in the pilots seat" then go to the back and man the "tail gun". Now just pretending you are a gunner when you are under 18 is probably some felony in this day and age. Sorry, I digress.

There is a FAQ about hogans heros and yes, the jacket is the same one Sinatra wore, although I am not sure that Bob Crane wore the same jacket through every season. His son loaned it to Greg Kinner to wear in the movie Autofocus about the life and death of Bob Crane. That was a sad, but very well done movie. Can't say as I blame him. If I was the lead in one of the hottest shows on TV, I would have done the same, except I wouldn't have let my creepy buddy around, and I wouldn't have filmed it.

Terry

Chandler

Little resurrection to this thread after having discovered this at the HPA web site:

Interestingly, the D-1 will forever be associated with airmen and not mechanics in the mind of many, due to the fact that it was an original post-1941 D-1 jacket worn on the 1960’s - 1970’s comedy show, “Hogan’s Heroes,” by the bumbling POW character named Carter.

Somewhere there was a discussion of which jacket Carter originally wore...

Chandler