• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just got a B-3

groundpound

i just bought a b-3 at a decent price off of ebay. i think its an older one as it has only 2 back pieces and one side seam with a little triangle at the bottom. the kicker is that alot of the dye has flaked off of the jacket, leaving it as white as it is brown. the sleaves and the pocket are fine,as well as the windflap behind the zipper. the main body leather is still very soft and supple. i have several of these jacket that are all authentic, and despite the discoloration,this one seems to be in excellent shape. can anybody offer any suggestions as to the possibility of having this jacket re-dyed, or sprayed , a term i have heard. it would have to be done in a way that was authentic enough to look original or its just not worth doing. thanks. sim.

also, can anyone tell me how to post pics on here??

groundpound

i thought that i might add some info about my new B-3 in the hope that someone might be able to give me a better idea of the age and rarity of this jacket, if any. it is made by the H.I.B corp of new york.the ac drawing number is 33h5595. the order number is w 535 ac-17811. the jacket has a brass conmar zipper on it with green cloth backing. it also has an army air forces badge on the left sleave and right under that it appears someone has stencil painted the numbers 819 with a small horizontal line right underneath. as i stated before this jacket has lost most of its coloring and is as white as it is brown. kind of like an aligator skin look. the sleaves and the pocket are fine as well as the wind flap. hopefully someone can assist me in making an educated decision on whether or not to dye this jacket back to its original color or to just leave it alone. also, i would like to buy an original B-3 of at least size 46 in wearable condition, if anybody out there knows of such a beast. any and all help on these matters would be much appreciated!! thanks, sim.

Roughwear

I am looking forward to seeing the pics. Your jacket is the first B-3 contract issued to HLB.Corp in 1941. HLB Corp was unique in that they used goatskin facings for all their B3s including later contracts. All the B3s from this contract that I have owned had Triple-marked Talon zips so yours may have a replaced zip. Was it an Ebay purchase?

groundpound

007.jpg
ttp://i53
009.jpg
9.ph
010.jpg
otobucket.com/albums/ff357/sitkaspruceman/006.jpg[/IMG]

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
... HLB Corp was unique in that they used goatskin facings for all their B3s including later contracts.

Actually the consecutively numbered, 'unknown maker' W 535 AC 17812, also used goatskin facings ... so I guess we should settle for "semi-unique". :)

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
... HLB Corp was unique in that they used goatskin facings for all their B3s including later contracts.

Actually the consecutively numbered, 'unknown maker' W 535 AC 17812, also used goatskin facings ... so I guess we should settle for "semi-unique". :)

Are you sure? The two I have owned from the 17812 contract had HH facings.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:

Oh, okay, Full Gear notes Sometimes goatskin parts used, chain hanger.

The same sometimes goatskin parts used is also noted with the first two HLB contracts, but not the later three.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:

Oh, okay, Full Gear notes Sometimes goatskin parts used, chain hanger.

The same sometimes goatskin parts used is also noted with the first two HLB contracts, but not the later three.

I have owned/handled quite a few HLB B3s including later ones and they all had goatskin facings. I would be curious to see pics of one with HH.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
I have owned/handled quite a few HLB B3s including later ones and they all had goatskin facings. I would be curious to see pics of one with HH.

I'm not disagreeing ....

I just assumed that if the information was from the author's own observations, he would avoid stating absolutes.

groundpound

i guess....uhhh.... we forgot about the original questions that started this thread ?? basically i need to know if i can re-dye a jacket such as this without ruining its historical value,which right now isnt much. thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
groundpound said:
i guess....uhhh.... we forgot about the original questions that started this thread ?? basically i need to know if i can re-dye a jacket such as this without ruining its historical value,which right now isnt much. thanks.

Sorry, Groundpound ....

Well I did direct you to the photo posting info, and left it to one of the believers to advise you about Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing.

VLJ is a discussion forum, and we do get side-tracked, but hopefully Andrew will be back to help you out .....

Hawkeye

deeb7 said:
groundpound said:

Sorry, Groundpound ....

Well I did direct you to the photo posting info, and left it to one of the believers to advise you about Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing.

VLJ is a discussion forum, and we do get side-tracked, but hopefully Andrew will be back to help you out .....

Well I was going to do it, but I thought someone else would have done the honours by now ;) . Anyways, Groundpound, I advise you buy a product called Pecards Antique Leather Dressing. Follow the directions and apply it to your jacket, it will soften the leather, preserve it and keep it supple. It will even bring some colour back out in spots, but with the dye loss your jacket has experienced I'd expect that to happen more on the horsehide facings than the sheepskin. If it were me, I would refrain from redying the jacket, it does in fact still have historical value in its condition, especially if the leather itself is still supple and in good shape. But, your jacket, your decision.

dujardin

.... it also has an army air forces badge on the left sleave and right under that it appears someone has stencil painted the numbers 819 with a small horizontal line right underneath....

hello,

maybe a stupid question but what could be this number 819 ?????

many thanks

hello groundpound,
first welcome on this forum.
my opinion (strictly personnal feeling regarding pieces of history - collection) is not to change too much his ''historical side'', just use Pecard (or other) .
byebyeeeeeeeee

marcel