• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Waynes Jacket

Icarus

I watched the 1942 John Wayne Flying Tigers film last night. Does anyone know what A2 he wear's ? I'm thinking it's a non issue Hollywood prop as I'm sure I saw a press stud at the bottom of the zipper though I couldn't get a picture of it.

92492.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
sealbeachbum said:

Hi, Guys,

A long shot - could be a Monarch with the collar / windflap intersection that far back.

But looking at the square shoulders - I'd say it's a custom wardrobe jacket - looks to be too square for an issue jacket.

My 2¢

Bill French

T-Bolt

I agree with Bill......I think it is a studio wardrboe creation. Almost looks like it has snap attached at the top of the windflap and the corresponding part on the other side.

Ted

tgd31968

Chris217 said:

From the IMDB database, the movie was released October 8, 1942.

Avirex was started in 1975.

I imagine the studio could easily have gotten the AAF to supply a jacket for The Duke, but probably the costume shop knocked one out custom for him taylored to make him look even more manly.

Terry

Chandler

tgd31968 said:

I could be way off base, but I think he was kidding. ;)

Besides, the old Avirex I had looked more authentic than John's! :D

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Chandler said:
tgd31968 said:

Chandler

Actually didn't Avirex make a pretty decent G-1 (1980s) a replica of the owners original?

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
Actually didn't Avirex make a pretty decent G-1 (1980s) a replica of the owners original?

I can't honestly say. I was never into G-1s back when I first got into flight jackets.

I do recall their "Top Gun" G-1, I doubt that's the one you mean though! :)

Chandler

tgd31968

Chandler said:
tgd31968 said:

Chandler

I kinda thought so, which is why I just posted the information, I didn't editorialize.

RAYMUNDO

There were a mixture of jacket styles in the movie. John's A-2 did not have a one piece back so it was not a military jacket. Jackets were either procured or made by the Wardrobe dept. The real Flying Tiger pilots hated the movie.

Ray

Icarus

I found it impossible to tell if John Waynes jacket was one piece as he and the others have ridiculously large blood chits covering most of the back. As far as the film goes most of them proabably saw it as a piece of fictional nonsense but nevertheless enjoyed the cachet and glamour it fostered. Incidentaly two members of the AVG, Ken Sanger and Larry Moore, who were dishonourably discharged (and widely supposed to be homosexual) were the initial technical advisors until Chennault wrote to the Republic studios and complained. In the end Bill Pawley is credited as an advisor. Republic actually wrote to Generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek and received an introductory appraisal of the AVG which is used in the opening scene. Back to the subject of jackets, Charlie Bond who was in the US Air Corp/Force before and after being a pilot in the AVG lost his A2 jacket and took an issued M422A which it is claimed he much prefered.