• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incised set for the 489th BS

ties70

Something incised in brand new...well, the visible parts of the natural leather were aged very, very slightly:

The big cat:

cougar_full-1.jpg

cougar_cuts.jpg

The flag (yes, it has only 48 stars ;-) ):

flag_full-1.jpg

flag_cuts.jpg

And the 12th AF shield:

12th_full-1.jpg

12th_cuts.jpg

Best regards

Ties

EMBLEMHUNTER

Very nicely done, I saw this emblem on the nose of the B-25 at the Mid Atlantic Air Musuem show a few years ago , looks just like it !
Johnny

grommet

Excellent!
I have tried my hand at this, but it keeps looking like something the cat mauled. ;)
Incising leather is a real skill. My hat's off to you.

a2jacketpatches

grommet said:
Excellent!
I have tried my hand at this, but it keeps looking like something the cat mauled. ;)

Yes it is, one mistake and you're stuck with it. Very good job, I'll be sending any requests you way if you want the work.

ties70

grommet said:
Excellent!

Thanks for the kind words :D

Incised patches are quite easy to do, if you keep two things in mind:

1. Transfer the design to the leather as carefully as you would for a regularly painted patch. Use carbon / tracing paper that can get wet without smearing instantly, but will not keep the paint from sticking to the leather.

2. Wet the lines with a damp cloth before you cut them with your swivel knife. Otherwise the cuts get irregular and the leather surface kind of "crumples"

The painting process afterwards is much easier as the cuts are "artificial" barriers that keep the paint from flowing where it should not...

When I have another patch to do, I'll document the complete steps if you want.

Best regards

Ties