• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to repair vintage mouton collar?

Whitesky

Hello, I just start my interest on vintage leather jacket, especially G1. I saw some good leather G1 on eBay, but needs some repair to return the normal condition, especially the mouton collar, where to get the replaced part and is it workable to replace it?Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Whitesky

Replacing mouton collars is absolutely routine. Buy an old mouton fur coat on eBay for $20, and send it and the jacket to Steve Sellers. You’ll be wowed by the results.
Thanks for the useful feedback, do you mean any kind of coat made by mouton fur?sorry I am in Asia, what is Steve Sellers? Is it a tailor shop in the US?

mulceber

sorry I am in Asia, what is Steve Sellers? Is it a tailor shop in the US?
Steve Sellers is a member of the VLJ. His username is @STEVE S. He's US-based and he does great work repairing jackets. Not sure about who to go to in Asia.
do you mean any kind of coat made by mouton fur?
Pretty much, yes - back in the mid-20th century mouton was frequently used to make fur coats for women. It's the exact same stuff the Navy was using for collars, it's cheap now (very few people wear fur coats anymore), and it's already nicely aged.

Skyhawk

Steve Sellers is a tailor / Mfg in the USA. You would need to find someone to do the replacement in your home country, because shipping both ways would cost way too much to be worth it.

People make it sound easy but buying mouton coats for replacement fur is a tough thing to get right. The USN specs call for 1/2" fur length. The length of fur on coats is all over the place. The fur density is also important. If you have fur that is not right in these aspects, it will look either too sparse and thin, or too fluffy and thick.

Once you get that all right, you need to make sure the vintage fur is not dried out or rotting at the core skin level. You can't always tell by just looking at it, but you can give the fur a good strong pull in different areas and see if any fur pulls out.

Brettafett

You may want to contact Shawn at Fivestar. I think they offer repair and/ or material services.
You can check postage to and from Pakistan...

Whitesky

Hi guys, appreciate a lot for all of your feedback, so far it looks a bit difficult for me to repair mouton fur collar, I better collect some stuffs still at good condition for now. I stay in Taiwan and China, I can find some leather G1 here, but not many, I already got 4, will be happy to share with you guys later although they are quite regular stuffs comparing with your valued collections, I am happy when enjoying the pictures of your sharing here.