• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, looking for info on caring for an A-2 WWII leather

sedenne

We have my father-in-laws A-2 WWII leather jacket with artwork on back. I am wondering the best way to care for and condition it without doing any damage to the artwork. Currently it is in great shape but the leather is hard and we want to get it back to a more supple condition just not sure with all the different types of conditioners out there.
Thanks, Susan

SuinBruin

Using Pecards, or any other leather dressing, is not without risk or controversy. As I understand it, conservationists are now against treating leather with oils or waxes. I'd study up on the subject before deciding one way or another on how to proceed... once you've put something into the leather, you can't take it out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5034

Silver Surfer

old stiff horse hide, and cow tends to develop fissures and cracking over time if not treated. go with the pecards cream leather dressing. because it is less dense then the paste, it absorbs into the leather faster and more consistently. rub it in with your fingers, or a piece of wool. let the jac sit in the sun, on a cool day. do not get the cream on the cuffs and waistband or liner, as it will stain those parts. this can be repeated two, three times as needed . after a day or two of each application, the leather color will return to very near the original, if not completely. oh, and welcome to the abusement park.

nickgp

APPLE BRAND-LEATHER CONDITIONER---- www.Shoestuff.com I have been using this mild stuff for years-its great-I would be very careful when going over nose art with anything though

a2jacketpatches

nickgp said:
APPLE BRAND-LEATHER CONDITIONER---- http://www.Shoestuff.com I have been using this mild stuff for years-its great-I would be very careful when going over nose art with anything though

I've used this stuff as well and it seems to work great. Most recently on an older motorcycle jacket, the results were very good, looks almost new.

Phantomfixer

Also find acid free paper and box, lay the jacket flat, arms spread out or at least by the side, try and keep in climate controled room...one that remains a constant temperature, more or less....bunch the paper up underneath so air can flow around the jacket...