• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Doniger with Insigna

Longranger

Hi Guy's, heres some pictures of my Goodwear Doniger .
The Squadron patch and name Tag where put on the jacket by Aero Leather.
Enjoy.

P5070010.jpg

P5070008.jpg

P5070007.jpg

Longranger

The patch is original as far as am aware. On the reverse side it had written,
Carl Amandus Brandt . Estate sale. My wife bought it for me about 5yrs ago.

Andrew

..and Jeff, what size is the jacket/ patch? It goes from the arm right across to the zip...

Nice GW too LR!

TankBuster

Ted,
The Jacket is a original 1756 contract.

Andrew,
The jacket is a size 40, and the patch measures 5 1/2 inches across. It's one of the
larger squadron patches I've got in my collection.
Here's a couple pics of it in use before the name strip was added. Patch is fairly easy to make out. Hanley is the one in the Bombardier station, 2nd pic.

012-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

Dr H

TankBuster said:
Ted,
The Jacket is a original 1756 contract.

Andrew,
The jacket is a size 40, and the patch measures 5 1/2 inches across. It's one of the
larger squadron patches I've got in my collection.
Here's a couple pics of it in use before the name strip was added. Patch is fairly easy to make out. Hanley is the one in the Bombardier station, 2nd pic.

012-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

Hi Jeff
Sorry, an old post, but I was trawling.
I took a look at the 1756 contract on JC's CD and it does bear some resemblance to Perry's known contracts in a number of areas (collar shape, collar stand, square reinforcement stitching on pockets, lack of zipper reinforcement stitching, Conmar, asymmetrical position of hanger, and pocket flaps that are shallower versions of the scalloped cut).
As you've handled a 1756 and examined it closely what is your view, is it a Perry?
Is there any documentary evidence to support this, anyone?
Cheers
Ian

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
... is it a Perry? Is there any documentary evidence to support this, anyone?

Dunno ... also from John's CD:

• The jacket has a few details which are interesting: it has a collar stand, which wasn't often seen on 1942 or later production jackets, and also rather large stitch spacing on the pocket flaps, which can be seen on Perry Sportswear jackets. Its not easy to determine which company made this contract, as it doesn't easily emulate any particular known maker's design in all aspects.

Roughwear

Ian, There has been discussion before about the possible maker for this A2. There was an order placed on 13th June 1944 for A2 jackets from two makers, one being Perry Sportswear for 25,000 A2s and the other being Dubow. These jackets were replacements for earlier issued A2s. We know that the two previous Perry contracts were from 1941-2 and there are no other named Perry contract A2s after this date. My guess is that this no name maker jacket was made by Perry and is from the June 1944 order. As you say Ian it does have many of the features associated with this maker, including the collar stand, Conmar zip, typical Perry-shaped pocket flaps etc.. John Chapman may not have been aware of the existence of 13th June document when he compiled his CD. There are no other late War A2 contracts which resemble Perry A2s. It is also worth pointing out that the Dubow order from June 1944 is 1755 and this no name one is 1756, suggesting the orders were placed at the same time and if you link it with the June document Perry is the most likely maker. Although this evidence about Perry being the maker of this no name A2 is not conclusive it is nevertheless fairly compelling IMO..

The document is dated 13 June, 1944, from Maj. Gen B.E. Meyers, Office, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Materiel, Maintenance and Distribution shows the following:

Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, New York, Jacket, leather, Type A-2 25,000
J.A. Dubow, Chicago, Ill Jacket, Leather, Type A-2 35,000
Paul Reed Co Milwaukee, Wis Intermediate B-10 Jacket, 7500
Roughwear Clothing, New York B-10 Jacket, B15 Jacket 24,000
Superior Togs, New York B-10 Jacket, B-15 Jacket 18,000

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
The document is dated 13 June, 1944, from Maj. Gen B.E. Meyers, Office, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Materiel, Maintenance and Distribution shows the following:

Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, New York, Jacket, leather, Type A-2 25,000
J.A. Dubow, Chicago, Ill Jacket, Leather, Type A-2 35,000
Paul Reed Co Milwaukee, Wis Intermediate B-10 Jacket, 7500
Roughwear Clothing, New York B-10 Jacket, B15 Jacket 24,000
Superior Togs, New York B-10 Jacket, B-15 Jacket 18,000

This list raises more questions. As well as the missing Bronco contract 1761, why were B-10 jackets being ordered along with B-15?

And why no mention of trousers? A-9, and A-11 trousers should have been part of the same orders.

Roughwear

The Bronco contract would have been a little later David. Again it was ordered to replace existing jackets. Good point about the B-10 and B-15 being ordered at the same time.

Dr H

Thanks both, in my mind I had linked it to Perry, but purely stylistically (without having seen the contract documents).
Yet another one to look for... 1756 in a wearable 44 anyone? :roll:
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Sorry for the lazy research attitude, but how does the figure of 25,000 compare with the previous Perry orders? Are these 1756 jackets more or less numerous than e.g. the 23377? The horsehide jackets apparently being the most common or most frequently seen.
Thanks for the info
Cheers
Ian

Roughwear

Ian, I'm not sure how large the two previous Perry A2 contracts were. Judging from surviving examples there seem to be more 1942 hh A2s than goatskin Perrys around today which may indicate the goat contract was smaller. Most of the last three 1944 contracts-1755, 1756 and 1761 were for smaller jackets (ie. 36-40), although there were a few exeptions.