• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German WW2 shearling vest

Snackson

Stumbled across this WW2 German era (according to the seller) shearling vest.
Not anything I have ever seen before. Anybody has any information about these?
Cheers!

2024-05-07_15h27_13.jpg

Pilot

Erwin is right and most of them „found“ nowadays are private purchases ( also from nowadays ;-) ).
Here the Luftwaffe issued „ Unterziehweste“.
It was sold last
IMG_0756.jpeg
year via my favored auction house.

Erwin

Yep, these so called "private purchased" ones were often made in Ghettos or companies from GG by force labourers. It is easy to trace items made for example at Litzmannstadt (for example late war production Knocked sack's with these markings.

At some fabric mills fabrics for LW and KM were produced with a blend of human hair which mills obtain directly from Birkenau.

Pilot

Yep, these so called "private purchased" ones were often made in Ghettos or companies from GG by force labourers. It is easy to trace items made for example at Litzmannstadt (for example late war production Knocked sack's with these markings.

At some fabric mills fabrics for LW and KM were produced with a blend of human hair which mills obtain directly from Birkenau.
Agree!
Using human hair blend with wool, to produce blanket style line was common in the 30s and of course 40s and not only in CC‘s and not only in Germany or occupied states.
All hairdressers sold their cut hair to specilized mills . I am certain it was similar in later allied countries under different circumstances of course.Nothing was wasted
Early Hartmann „cylistes „ have human hair blend/wool liners.
EG this one.
Note the full brass droplet shaped Eclairs proof for a pre 1939 version.
IMG_0480.jpeg

Last edited:

Erwin

Pilot it is interesting regarding pre-war human hair usage as a fabric fibers. I was aware about few fabric mills which manufactured that kind of blend under RZM associated companies - where mostly the source of hair was always from KZ.

Pilot

Pilot it is interesting regarding pre-war human hair usage as a fabric fibers. I was aware about few fabric mills which manufactured that kind of blend under RZM associated companies - where mostly the source of hair was always from KZ.
Agree about the CC/KZ fact, however they did not invent this process… Unfortunately, sadly ,they contributed.
Even nowadays, its again „ in „ to blend pardon me but lets call it hairdressers-shop hair into other fibers and create a kind of fleece.

Dany McDonald

It looks a lot like some pieces worn by panzer crews, especially the commander (had to stand out half way in the hatch) in 45 Hungary. If I remember well, the consensus was that they were civilian made and not regulatory but warm...

I know I have some images somewhere.

Erwin

Are you referring to a similar fur jacket which Max Wünsche wore or something collarless?
1715542186411.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Collarless but I know what you are referring to (Max Wünsche) and it's pretty close too. I suspect he had it taylor made or modified.

Since I posted my reply I've found some images from the winter 43 and onward with similar shearling jackets with more or less the same features, some even had knits at the end of the sleeve but mostly collarless. All ground forces I must say.

Dany McDonald

Just for reference.

Fritz_WiTT_02.jpg

The guy pointing has a shearling sleeveless vest. The one standing in the middle is a full shearling jacket but a bit salty

paulkloseKharkov.jpg

Dany McDonald

Erwin,

I know I have more info somewhere in books about german ground forces combat uniforms and 1945 Hungary/Seelow heights etc retreat with shearling kits... I need to dig.

Erwin

I'm aware of these Dany, you can share with other users, in general I find all furry stuff a bit boring, even these used by SS ;) I'm sure that you know this reference https://www.kriegsberichter-archive.com/ you can find there some über rare examples of variegated leaf smocks in use (just few but worthy to have a look).