• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

a2jacketpatches

Chandler said:
Roughwear said:
...even some tanneries passed off cow as horsehide to maintain their profits.

But, isn't it the general thinking that horsehide was cheaper than steer hide back then? Because there was surplus from the downturn of horses used in farming and cavalry due to motorized replacement.

Just a theory I once heard, I don't know if it's true.

I think that may be from the book Hell Bent for Leather, I remember as well. Surplus of horses from WW1 and the rise of motorized vehicles of all kinds. Info about plentiful goatskin from the Middle East for the Navy out of the same book? Sold mine a while back so I can't confirm.

Marv

Just placed my order this morning so looking for to having a good old read when it arrives. :)

Persimmon

Dr H said:
nogbat said:
does anyone know if they will be delivered before xmas ?

Delivery time currently 'up to 4 weeks'...

Ordered mine today and asked in the notes, noting up to a 4 week delivery time, to try and deliver before Christmas please.
Hope they do.
When I spoke to Gary's dad this morning he did say they were all vacuum packed signed and sealed already so hopefully its just a matter of organising a trip to the Post Office to get them out

Dr H

Persimmon said:
Dr H said:
nogbat said:
does anyone know if they will be delivered before xmas ?

Delivery time currently 'up to 4 weeks'...

Ordered mine today and asked in the notes, noting up to a 4 week delivery time, to try and deliver before Christmas please.
Hope they do.
When I spoke to Gary's dad this morning he did say they were all vacuum packed signed and sealed already so hopefully its just a matter of organising a trip to the Post Office to get them out

Mine's ordered too... :D

Chandler

Roughwear said:
Gary says "Horsehide was without doubt the first and only hide type specified for the A-2 in 1931-this came under specification 12015.

Andrew,
Does Gary mention anything about the use of silk or cotton on A-2 linings? This was a big bone of contention back in the old forums.

havocpaul

Having worked many years in the book trade I would suggest it is worth every penny and indeed may be cheap considering the work and quality of printing that has gone into it, it isn't published through a large publisher (and will be the better for that) and an initial print run of 1000 copies will not have been cheap. I have bought only a few books this year as sadly so many so-called new titles are rehashes of existing titles, badly researched or reprints. Michel Detrez (D-Day Publishing) has finally published his incredibly researched books on the 101st Airborne at Arnhem and they are as expensive but again worth it. I would expect Gary's book to be an invaluable reference for years to come and be a template for hopefully similar undertakings in the future....just my opinion though!

Roughwear

When you read the book Paul I am sure you will be even more convinced that it represents excellent value for money.

Roughwear

You would need to contact ELC. The book was officially published today and I suspect none have been shipped yet.

Andrew

unclegrumpy said:
Question....what did one of these books end up costing shipped to the US ? Thanks!
If its any help £90.99 to Australia. It would have to be less for you.

MarcW

My total was 87.99 GBP shipped to the US, which at this moment converts to 141.74 USD.

unclegrumpy said:
Question....what did one of these books end up costing shipped to the US ? Thanks!

CBI

book and shipping to US is $140.00. That's what my order came to yesterday. I am sure its worth it. I bitched and complained at first but if it has loads of info, then it will be a great resource.