• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Eastman's A2 Book is out

Rutger

The anger and energy wasted on debating/fighting over steerhide/horse.

I also imagine that Aero can now rightfully claim that the steerhide in A2's sold as being horse is actually true to history, and they only need to say that they're sorry for the background that led to the mix up.

Roughwear

Absolutely! Although the US War Dept. sourced all the hardware and leather for every A2 contract, even some tanneries passed off cow as horsehide to maintain their profits. In Wartime it was essential to fulfil contracts whether from horse, cow or goat.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, have you met Gary before that evening?

Another myth busted.
Right before I read your post, I was getting ready to say that my guess (suspicion) is that Aero, Dubow, Perry and Poughkeepsie used steerhide. I was going to add Werber to that bringing in my memory George's original. Got to say, the leather on all those seemed to be very similar, while the leather on the original RW I have looks like a different animal.

Also someone has once argued that after tanning, there is nothing left of the DNA so it's virtually impossible to test it. Could be true.

Would someone please post some photos of the inside of the book to tempt us a little to buy it?

A

Anonymous

some tanneries passed off cow as horsehide to maintain their profits

There was no DNA testing back then, but wouldn't they have another way to check? e.g. by inspecting the documents etc.

Dr H

PLATON said:
Also someone has once argued that after tanning, there is nothing left of the DNA so it's virtually impossible to test it. Could be true.

No, not true in my view.

Roughwear

Platon, I have met Gary many times at Duxford Air Shows.

Gary had many of his jackets scientifically tested for DNA and the results are conclusive. Although cow was used extensively this does not mean all jackets from the same contract were made of cow.

Jackets in Gary's collection positively identified as made from cowhide are:

Werber Sportswear 2951
Aero Leather Clothing 21996
Rough Wear 23380
Star Sportswear 28557
United Sheeplined 18777

In addition Gary has visually compared these jackets with others that were not tested and suggests these contracts also used cowhide:
Aero 16160
Aero 15142
Poughkeepsie 28560
Bronco 29191
Aero 18775
Dubow 1755 (1944 contract, not 1943 as Gary suggests-he did not know about the document dated 13th June 1944)
Perry 1756 (1944 contract)
Bronco 1761(1944 contract)

Roughwear

PLATON said:
Would someone please post some photos of the inside of the book to tempt us a little to buy it?

The book is protected by copyright and I do not wish to infringe it by doing this Platon. Your best bet is to order one asap.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the valuable info, it's all from the book right?

Despite the historical accuracy of the steerhide, I do not foresee any change in the preference of the fans for horsehide.

Roughwear

It's all from the book apart from the date of the three 1944 contracts which were for replacement jackets. I did not notice the 1943 date for the Perry, Dubow and Bronco contracts when I scanned the book when I chatted to Gary, so I could not discuss them with him. I know he did not find the documents with the contract issue dates for these three. This is always the trouble when you write a book-more information appears post publication!

Roughwear

The book also has details of some of the makers of A-1 jackets and I can post some info here if anyone is interested.

Dr H

One of those will be mine... :mrgreen:
A-1 details in there as well? Bonus...

Roughwear

Mine is number 131.

BTW. I have updated the contract information in the Vintage thread with the correct dates and contract sizes.

Dr H

Andrew, could you open a corresponding A-1 thread please (if there's enough info in the book to support it)?
Any info on the manufacturers of the AN-J-3?

stanier

The book is extremely interesting and if you're into A-2's you'll be mighty impressed. Just forget the money. You could have a meal for two in a restaurant and spend the same If not more and regardless of how much you enjoyed it have nothing to show for it. But the book is something to keep, and IMO is excellent.

Really nice afternoon yesterday. My copy is number 138 and really pleased with it. Need volumes on shearling jackets next please! And artwork!

Just wish I'd recognised Mr Roughwear and others, oh well.

Cheers all

Cobblers161

Well I have to admit guys from what has been said so far I am sold! Luckily my good lady wife has offered to buy it for my Christmas box.

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Andrew, could you open a corresponding A-1 thread please (if there's enough info in the book to support it)?
Any info on the manufacturers of the AN-J-3?

Nothing on AN-J-3 makers I'm afraid, but I have yet to read the book from cover to cover. I'll let you buy the book and find the A-1 info yourself.