• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 Jacket/Patch Query

karloslagos

Hi,

Bought this G1 from a military fair in the UK in August.

Stitched to the right breast is this lovely USS Princeton patch. I checked on line when I got home to discover that the ship was de-commisioned around 1970. The jacket is a 1973 contract Star Sportswear so was wondering whether there's any chance of the patch being original to the jacket? I'm guessing with the difference in dates that it isn't and was possibly owned by an ex-Princton crew member, or a repro attached by a civilian owner.

There is stitching to the other side of the jacket to indicate a name/wing patch.

Guess I will never now, but interesting to imagine all the same

Karl

DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

The owner of the jacket may have been on the Princeton and retired and got the patch at a reunion or maybe even a "De Commissioning" cermony for the ship , not too many years seperating the jacket and the patch being put on it .

Did you get it from a veteran's family or a shop ???????????? if you know the family it came from you could ask them for a little background .

karloslagos

Thanks for reply,

Bought it off a stall at a military show and came with no history.

An ex crewman placing the patch on a later jacket would be my guess as well. I like to think that anyway rather than a repo once in civilian hands.

K

EMBLEMHUNTER

I don't think it's a "repro" patch as it looks to be of 'quality" manufacture , not the cheapo looking knock off type , I think it was most likely a "veteran" who got it after he got out, or he had the patch and got the jacket later on and then put it on to wear .

My guess would be that jacket might be a replacement jacket. You can turn your jacket in for replacement for such things as it being damaged, stolen, or the infamous shrinking that jackets do when you get older. The owner may have been the CO or the Air Boss on the ship. With that being such a milestone in one's career he may have wanted to put the patch on like his old jacket. The patch is from when the Princeton was an LPH, a helicopter carrier.