• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flak... this is what airmen feared!

MauldinFan

Hollywood would leave you to think that flak was always the size of a pie plate.
This is real Flak, recovered from a 91st BG B17 in 1944.
20240403_203541-01.jpeg

The piece with the shiny end came through the nose and struck the copilot's seat. Thankfully, a previously pilfered British manhole cover attached to the underside of the secured his second son's existence after the war.
The shiny part is the skin of the Flying Fortress.
These were given to me by the vet in the 1990s.
God Speed, Mr Delo. I still miss our conversations.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Real deal souvenirs.

DId you hear the one about the ice cream?

Forget which group the story came from but the boys wanted some ice cream and They delivered.

10 gallon Pails of it!! Of course it wasn't frozen so they loaded the ice cream onto their ships and by the time they came back from a mission it was ready to eat.

Some guys were spittin' out chunks of flak into their bowls.

Look at the rounded shiny aluminum that chunk picked up... I mean, if that gives any idea of travel velocity, or what?

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hollywood would leave you to think that flak was always the size of a pie plate.
This is real Flak, recovered from a 91st BG B17 in 1944.
View attachment 143945
The piece with the shiny end came through the nose and struck the copilot's seat. Thankfully, a previously pilfered British manhole cover attached to the underside of the secured his second son's existence after the war.
The shiny part is the skin of the Flying Fortress.
These were given to me by the vet in the 1990s.
God Speed, Mr Delo. I still miss our conversations.
Looks kind of innocuous just sitting there in the palm of your hand but traveling at about 2300 ft per sec after the initial detonation the results as we’ve all seen photos of … were Just devastating.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Looks kind of innocuous just sitting there in the palm of your hand but traveling at about 2300 ft per sec after the initial detonation the results as we’ve all seen photos of … was Just devastating.

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

MauldinFan

This piece was recovered from the center of the three B-17s in the middle of this photo.
media-35300.jpeg

It's at the bottom of the North Sea today, so I have the only part of the plane above water, fused aluminum from this flak piece's entry to that airplane.
Look at the rounded shiny aluminum that chunk picked up... I mean, if that gives any idea of travel velocity, or what?
Much faster than a rifle bullet if you're close to it going off, that's for sure.
I've been told by several vets that flak pieces were just dumped out of the planes after missions, so I'd think if you had a metal detector at a former 8th AF field, you might find some.

ties70

Watch it go off from 3:02 onwards:

The guy from the bomb disposal unit in the interview later explains that the bomb was covered with a plastic bladder containing 25,000 liters of water to minimize the blast range and direct it mostly upwards...

B-Man2

The ground crews used to clean hundreds of pounds of pieces of flak out of the bombers after each mission. If they only could have known how much people are selling this stuff for today they or their families would have been pretty happy with the extra spare cash .

Smithy

Anyone know what type of steel they were made of?

They actually came in different thicknesses depending on the shell and it's purpose.

The Germans used coding on the side of the shell indicating the thickness and purpose of the shell.

Most HE shells for flak purposes (designed to detonate at a fused point and spread maximum amounts of shrapnel at altitude) were usually marked STG which meant a thin steel body to the shell to increase fragmentation upon detonation.