• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

leboucher

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy my first leather jacket from FiveStar (my first leather jacket at all), but I just can't decide between the B-3 and B-6 for the climate I'm in.

I've been reading through this forum a lot, and often people describe the B-3 as 'warm', but that's very relative. ;-)

I live in the Netherlands and winters are cold but remain mostly above freezing. The average low temperatures are between 0°C (32°F) and 4.4°C (39.9°F) during the cold season.

I'm looking for something warmer than my cheap overcoat. And something where I don't have to layer like crazy to keep myself warm. But I'm afraid the 20-22mm thick sheepskin is overkill for our winter.

Could someone help me decide, please? Maybe someone with experience with the FiveStar 10-12mm thick sheepskin?

Kermit3D

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy my first leather jacket from FiveStar (my first leather jacket at all), but I just can't decide between the B-3 and B-6 for the climate I'm in.

I've been reading through this forum a lot, and often people describe the B-3 as 'warm', but that's very relative. ;-)

I live in the Netherlands and winters are cold but remain mostly above freezing. The average low temperatures are between 0°C (32°F) and 4.4°C (39.9°F) during the cold season.

I'm looking for something warmer than my cheap overcoat. And something where I don't have to layer like crazy to keep myself warm. But I'm afraid the 20-22mm thick sheepskin is overkill for our winter.

Could someone help me decide, please? Maybe someone with experience with the FiveStar 10-12mm thick sheepskin?

Hi leboucher!
I have never owned or even tried a B-3 or B-6 (although I do have a B-6 on order). But I'll try to answer you on the theoretical basis I've learned here. :D
As you seem to know, the B-3 is a heavy jacket (very warm and sometimes a bit bulky) and the B-6 is a lighter jacket (not as thick as the B-3, but still a warm jacket). The B-6 is a little less bulky than the B-3.

The B-3 jacket was manufactured in large quantities during the late 1930s and early 1940s. It is a very iconic USAAF jacket (especially for bomber crews).
The B-6 is a much less common jacket. It was developed (it seems) to facilitate the movement of airmen who sometimes found the B-3 too cumbersome. It was particularly appreciated by fighter pilots in winter (narrow cockpit) before the arrival of the B-10 and B-15.

How important is the historical authenticity of your future jacket ?
For me (just my opinion) FiveStar jackets fall into two categories : jackets copied from an original model and other jackets.
If you are looking for a jacket that is as close as possible to the original model then go for a jacket that is made from an original model. This is the case with the Fivestar B-6, but I believe it is not the case with the B-3.

Last edited:

leboucher

Thanks both, and very helpful explanation Kermit3D!

I love all of these jackets for their aesthetics, historical authenticity, etc. But for now, I'm just concerned about the warmth. This will be my first leather jacket, but definitely not my last.

I'm leaning towards the 10-12mm B6 now, as it looks very warm. But I saw somewhere on this forum that someone complained about it being too cold.

Considering my climate, what would you guys say?

Thanks again for the help!

Kermit3D

My answer won't help you... I'd say the B-3 and B-6 are both excellent choices!

The B-6 will probably be a bit more practical (less bulky and accessible pockets), and probably warm enough.

The B-3 is heavier, so if you're really cold and have to stand for a long time in the cold, then it's perfect!

People who own or have owned one will be in a much better position than I am to tell you.
Personally I ordered a B-6, I live in the south of France and the temperature rarely goes below 0/-2°C.

MikeyB-17

I live in the UK, so our winters are much like yours. Not tried a Five Star, or indeed a B-6, but my Aero B-3 always gets plenty of wear in the winter, usually with a t-shirt and shirt underneath. B-6’s are popular around here, made of thinner sheepskin, which some prefer, but you probably need to layer underneath. Yes, the B-3 is thicker and therefore bulkier, but you don’t need so many layers. Personally I’d go for the B-3 every time, the bulk doesn’t bother me, and I don’t like the back on a B-6-but many disagree! It’s true the B-6 has more usable pockets (I put my gloves in the B-3 pocket), and some complain that the B-3 is too short. Never bothered me, but I believe the B-6 may be a bit longer.

flyincowboy

I. will go for a B3 got one from 5 stars one year ago and i do love this jacket. Most of the time i wear this jacket from october to march/ april even when the temperatures reach 6/8° With a thin jumper its the perfect jacket . Not to heavy to wear and when its getting warm just wear it un zipped. When cold you will really enjoy it i love wearing my B3 for hours walking with my dog in cold weather especially when i's windy and freezing. Wondering about a B6 with thinner shearling in the same kind of cold weather. Maybe i should afford one.

Peter242

Hi, i´m living in germany and have a B-6 from eastman. I wear this jacket between 0° - 10° and it´s always warm enough. When its zero degress you will need a bit of layering but its warm enough.
And the B-6 is not bulky.....relativly easy wearing
But as @MikeyB-17 said - i don´t like the back of this jacket (therefore it´s on the salespage here).
IMG_3080.jpg

leboucher

Hi, i´m living in germany and have a B-6 from eastman. I wear this jacket between 0° - 10° and it´s always warm enough. When its zero degress you will need a bit of layering but its warm enough.
And the B-6 is not bulky.....relativly easy wearing
But as @MikeyB-17 said - i don´t like the back of this jacket (therefore it´s on the salespage here).View attachment 73130

Thanks a lot for your reply Peter! That is great info!

I was looking online at the Eastman B6. Their website says "Made from 1/4 inch sheep shearling". Does this mean it's 6mm thick, whereas the FiveStar is 10-12mm thick?

Your eastman doesn't look thinner than the FiveStar...

Peter242

ive took this from hpa "Our B-6 Flight Jackets may be the only ones in the world today being manufactured with the correct depth of wool (nothing other than 1/4” sheepskin was ever specified for the B-6 Flight Jacket)."
I never had a FiveStar B6 - so i can´t compare those jackets. But when the 5STar is thicker it also should be a bit warmer than my eastman. Like FiveStar also Aero is doing a thicker b-6....
But also consider what @Kermit99 said - i wouldn´t wear this jacket for a walk with dog when it´s raining.

MikeyB-17

I wouldn’t wear any sheepskin jacket in the rain-cold, dry days are fine, but if it’s looking like rain, either take an umbrella, or wear something that’s actually waterproof. The coating on the surface is designed to keep water out, but you don’t want the sheepskin getting soaked.

flyincowboy

When the fleece get wet the weight of the jacket change considerabely so heavy! definetely not a jacket for heavy rain. Ask me how i know lol

MrProper

I have several versions of 5* shearling. The latest version with 22 mm is less warm than I assumed (which is good). The fleece is long, but lies more and seems minimally less densely grown than, say, my Aero or the first version of 5* shearling.
I think whether 10mm or 22mm, you won't go wrong. 10mm is perhaps a bit more civil.

First Version 10 mm
3B692685-A66D-4DBA-A934-412B7B37452F.jpeg

Second version 22 mm

428FD653-ACBA-4C54-A58C-2B202743999A.jpeg

third version 10 mm (maybe a bit less)
571F0BD9-703C-462E-9B81-07B1F3AFEFF3.jpeg
4EB282BB-7BDD-4548-AA3B-29D0582C7C01.jpeg

Irvin version 22 mm
161835D2-C9CA-4734-9C91-079CE03CF102.jpeg
5D527A1C-83B6-4343-A511-7EE7ADC2EAE0.jpeg

leboucher

@MrProper Thanks a million for this! It helped me decide to go for the 20mm jacket!

And thanks to everyone else too! I’m amazed by all the helpful tips in such a short time.

As I really like the b6 jacket, I had the wild idea of maybe getting that one in 20mm. (But you guys probably won’t like me for that).

Anyway, thanks again and I’ll make sure to share pictures!

bach37strad

Hey yall, so I know A2 fit has been discussed to death, but I'm looking for opinions on my latest Jacket. A Fivestar Werber Steerhide A2 with handwarmer pockets. Like always, I'm super impressed with the quality of the jacket, but I'm not really feeling the fit. I normally wear a 40-41 so I ordered the extra small (thats a first for me) and while I think it looks great open, It's tight around the waist and the arms bind up a lot (red circles) when raised parallel to the ground also making the sleeves too short when driving.

PXL_20220129_075059265.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20220129_075048922.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20220129_075106030.MP~2.jpg
InkedPXL_20220129_075203313.MP~2_LI.jpg

I'm planning on sending it back to Shawn, but I'm wondering exactly what measurement would need to be altered to alleviate the arms binding? Would just going up a size solve pretty much everything? Too tight all around? What do yall think?

Attachments

• PXL_20220129_075203313.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20220129_075203313.MP~2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 134

FreddyF9

Thanks a lot for your reply Peter! That is great info!

I was looking online at the Eastman B6. Their website says "Made from 1/4 inch sheep shearling". Does this mean it's 6mm thick, whereas the FiveStar is 10-12mm thick?

Your eastman doesn't look thinner than the FiveStar...
Hello, I own a FiveStar B-6 and a close friend of mine has an Eastman B-6. The difference between the two jacket’s sheepskin is that on the FiveStar the pile is about 10 mm long, while on the Eastman, pile is indeed a bit shorter but it’s denser and curlier. Also, they’re almost equally warm.