• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fab new RAF jacket from Aero

Roughwear

I like this one too John. The chestnut fleece is accurate and the Lightning zips are such an improvement. Are you going to buy one?

havocpaul

Very nice :) Vast improvement on the 'old' Aero RAF jackets, they should be congratulated, love to see one 'in the flesh'.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
I like this one too John. The chestnut fleece is accurate and the Lightning zips are such an improvement. Are you going to buy one?
Eventually yes I will buy one. It has been very long journey to come to this point and I think Ken and the staff at Aero have come up with goods at last.
I have asked to borrow a later development of the jacket so I can have a closer look and to post some shots in natural light and also of me(sorry) wearing the jacket. This could take a few weeks yet. There might also be some other variants and choice of collar type . Obviously Ken has all the details.

coalman

The jacket looks superb and very fairly priced as well,so looking forward to seeing both pictures and report off John, do you think ken will send out a few samples of each skin?

flyboy

Finally! Looking so much better than before. (Almost as good my Aces High Irvin ;) )
Looking forward to see their other models.
Anybody knows which original maker this repro was made from?

Roughwear

flyboy said:
Finally! Looking so much better than before. (Almost as good my Aces High Irvin ;) )
Looking forward to see their other models.
Anybody knows which original maker this repro was made from?

Links.

PaulGT3

Thats the one piece missing from my collection and I could die a happy man!
An original Irvin or a close proximity to that. THe Eastmans have a funky
fur color that I have not see in any movies or books. THis one looks much closer to
the original

Roughwear

PaulGT3 said:
Thats the one piece missing from my collection and I could die a happy man!
An original Irvin or a close proximity to that. THe Eastmans have a funky
fur color that I have not see in any movies or books. THis one looks much closer to
the original

I'm not sure what you mean by "a funky fur colour". Over the past 25 years ELC have been making Irvin jackets the colour of the fleece has varied from honey-coloured to dark brown. I do prefer the honey coloured fleece used on their early repros.

Hawkeye

The fleece and skin looks too much like a What Price Glory jacket for my liking. While I applaud Aero for attempting to improve their products, it still doesnt hold a candle to the ELC or Aces High Irvins. IMHO of course.

John Lever

Hawkeye said:
The fleece and skin looks too much like a What Price Glory jacket for my liking. While I applaud Aero for attempting to improve their products, it still doesnt hold a candle to the ELC or Aces High Irvins. IMHO of course.
It's an exact copy of some WW2 trousers sheepskin.

Roughwear

If the jacket is similar in appearance to those from WPG, WPG Irvins must be far better than I had supposed.

B-Man2

John;

I like this new effort from Aero. Once you get the jacket please let us know your thoughts and any suggestions for minor improvements that you might recommend. I'm on the edge of ordering one and your impressions may push me to place an order.

Thanks

PaulGT3

Andrew, I meant the dark brown. I like the honey color as you said. Not that I have watched
EVERY WW2 movie, but I have seen a few like Battle of Britain. I have that one on DVD. But I have
never seen one with the current color that Eastman has on their website. I prefer the color that Aero
has now or the Aces High version. Look I am the last one to be saying which is the right color, I just
dont have that much experience in this, I just prefer the color that is coming out with the new Aero.
Is that what you call honey? In my opinion I like the Aces High Color or Colour in this case!

rich

Hawkeye said:

You said it first, but I completely agree with you - I know you used to own a WPG Irvin, so I see where you comment is coming from. Perhaps the photographs aren't doing it justice, but even if that's the case, I find all the converging seam tapes really ugly. It may be that this is genuinely based on original, but I wish they'd followed another more aesthetically pleasing pattern - these things weren't standardised were they? Aero need to improve the photography of their products enormously IMO, the flash photography is less than flattering.

TOMG1401

I really like it, what is the deal with the 50's zipps ? where do they fit into the "original" picture,. Irvinandy???