• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC RW 1401

A

Anonymous

If you want to spend the time to research, and the big dollars, details are important. I have had an Avirex in horsehide that I enjoyed, however as I have seen all the repro makers out there my taste has become more discriminating. Love ELC, RMCZ, LW, I'm sure from the pics GW is awesome. It's a funny thing when I first became interested I had to patch out all my jackets, now I would never patch out my high end repro's. I keep a few lesser jackets to sport patching.

airfrogusmc

If a maker is paying attention to that theres probably a good chance they are paying attention to how large the arm holes are and how high and how the sleeves are attached; those last things effect the way a jacket looks when worn.

A

Anonymous

Chandler:
Unless you're obsessive compulsive, I guess.
:lol: I'm one of the biggest OCD sufferers I know of- fortunately now it's mostly manifested in jacket obsession.

zoomer

deeb7 said:
rotenhahn said:
- I have nothing to do with Goddwear except as a happy repeat customer.

Typo?

Or Freudian Slip?
rotenhahn said:
smooth overly perfect caca tunnel
freud.jpg
o 0 ( Verree interesting. )

Curahee

Yeah, this could be a great place for psychologists to do some interesting research ;) Oh and zoomer I give the guy a
break will ya, even "caca tunnel" lovers have their place on the forum, don't make fun of them :cool:

A

Anonymous

Curahee said:
Yeah, this could be a great place for psychologists to do some interesting research ;) Oh and zoomer I give the guy a
break will ya, even "caca tunnel" lovers have their place on the forum, don't make fun of them :cool:
Hey- just 'cause I'm relatively thin and wear a flight jacket and jeans doesn't mean I'm gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

rich

rotenhahn said:
Curahee said:
Hey- just 'cause I'm relatively thin and wear a flight jacket and jeans doesn't mean I'm gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Hey, I know that from somewhere!........... keep yourself sponge-worthy Rotenhahn!

Chandler

So over the Memorial Day weekend (a nice long one for this working stiff) I found myself watching The Great Escape for the umpteenth time. I paid special attention to the initial scenes with Steve McQueen wearing his A-2; the drape, movement, look, wear, all highly reflect the ELC RW 1401 I started this thread about. Makes me feel pretty satisfied with the investment (mostly time) I've made with this repro.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

CBI said:
The ELC 1401 is a great jacket, I now totally recommend it. I had a few fit issues but its OK now. I really like mine and I have been down the premium A-2 repro highway many times (ELC, GW, Aero, BR and RMNZ). I recently picked up a GW 18091 in Goat from VLJ member "Council". One that actually fits. Really great jacket (thanks man, for selling it!!!) but it does not make me want to toss my 1401.

Funny, I am an across the board in everything 44R, my 1401 is a 42 and GW is a 46. Oh, that elusive A-2 fit!!!!

GW= WW2 46 more or less copied from my original WW2 18091. I used to like the ELC 1401p but there are too many wrong details that drive me nuts now- no little tabs under the collar snaps, collar not exactly right, armholes too big and most of all the pockets are a bit far apart in the larger sizes- just far enough to say "Eastman"!

CBI

I don't really agree based on photos but I am over my OCD with A-2's so I am happy. In fact, now that I have experienced all of the makers, my favorite looking repro is ................. oh my god ............ the Aero Leather Real Deal. Killer leather, great- flattering fit and its looks like an A-2! Having collected so many originals, seeing so many others and looking at zillions of photos, the looks, shapes, sizes are so all over the map that I can deal with the repro guys pretty well. I had my concerns but all is well. Also, ALL of these jackets really change after lots of wear. I find that after a few years of wear, the repros really even out in terms of any thoughts on which is better, even more authentic. I LOVE this site but as one of the upper level guys at one of the premium repro companies told me, "its just a jacket!"

Does this mean, I get booted from the forum????????

Regards -

airfrogusmc

CBI said:
I don't really agree based on photos but I am over my OCD with A-2's so I am happy. In fact, now that I have experienced all of the makers, my favorite looking repro is ................. oh my god ............ the Aero Leather Real Deal. Killer leather, great- flattering fit and its looks like an A-2! Having collected so many originals, seeing so many others and looking at zillions of photos, the looks, shapes, sizes are so all over the map that I can deal with the repro guys pretty well. I had my concerns but all is well. Also, ALL of these jackets really change after lots of wear. I find that after a few years of wear, the repros really even out in terms of any thoughts on which is better, even more authentic. I LOVE this site but as one of the upper level guys at one of the premium repro companies told me, "its just a jacket!"

Regards -

Nah I like Aeros Real Deal to. So do a few others that post here.

Vcruiser

airfrogusmc said:
CBI said:

Regards -

Nah I like Aeros Real Deal to. So do a few others that post here.

One of them's me....... ;)
VB

Robman

I hate to chime in late but I must agree with CBI and Allen. I am one of those that the Aero Real Deal works well on and I'm happy with it.

I don't measure anything, just look at how it fits and wears on me. I can wear my suit size in it and it fits comfortably and not overly snug like sausage skin.

I also like my FS and don't measure it either, just wear it. IMHO if it looks fine then it works.

I guess they are like any other garment, on some people double breasted blazers look good, on me they don't. Some look best in Levis, some in Lees, etc.

Eastmans never really worked for me but I have seen some photos of some people's Eastmans and they look excellent on them.

Different strokes different folks.

Chandler

Robman said:
I guess they are like any other garment, on some people double breasted blazers look good, on me they don't.

I wonder if you're on to some correlation here? Probably just the difference in body shapes, but who knows -- food for thought.

Chandler

CBI

I'm sure body shape has a lot to do with things particularly in light of the fact that the A-2 and A-1 especially are not the most flattering garments in general. They were made for utiltarian purposes not for style. Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool looking but they are not fashion garments. For many, what they represent - WWII aviation, greatest generation, etc. is what makes this style of jacket so special. The A-2 always looks a million times better in those old WWII photographs than any current wearers/photos. Still love the jackets though.