• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early SAS photo

John Lever

Before cool was invented they had it in buckets.

16a5e8w.jpg

Andrew

ah, cool indeed. The basis of one of my favourite Tamiya kits.

Here's my version of it- I must have built it around 1979 or so. Interesting to see they switched the Vickers for a 50 cal. Hard to imagine that would have worked but i've seen a photo of the real thing.

3a7dd25d.jpg

91278565.jpg

ausreenactor

John Lever said:
Wrong guns,should be double barrel .303. Nice models though.

Not at all, the far Jeep in the pic has the .50 in the dash config. Many photos show them with the .50 ready to
rock and roll. :cool: Andrew just realised it is better to eliminate an enemy before they can attempt to eliminate you.
The .50 REALLY lets you 'reach out and touch someone'.

My mate Dominic has a Jeep in the SAS config, complete with German 'jerries'. Some in the original pink paint too!
Great bit of kit.

John Lever

YoungMedic said:
the difference in tire tread is intriguing, was this on purpose or just circumstantial?
I noticed that maybe it was just a spare in use ? The front tyre looks more off road like.

Phantomfixer

even the spare is different..three styles...would think they used what ever 16 inch tire they could find...there are wartime stateside pics of MB/GPW jeeps with biased ply tires versus the GI NDT....

cool pics love the .5 caliber...who needs reverse gear.....

tom james

The tire on the back of the pictured jeep has what appears to be a 5.00x16" Goodyear motorcycle tire - they used whatever they could lay their hands on.

jack31916

tom james said:
The tire on the back of the pictured jeep has what appears to be a 5.00x16" Goodyear motorcycle tire - they used whatever they could lay their hands on.

Although not impossible, it's more likely that those are special sand tyres (made by Dunlop, Goodyear, Firestone and India) that were used by the (British) army. They also used commercial type tyres for these had better grip on sand than the normally used General Purpose (or non directional) 6.00X16 tyres. Info from the databook of wheeled vehicles Army Transport 1939-1945 by the Tank Museum Bovington.

YoungMedic

yes all the jeeps appear to have the same style treat in the rear with a more aggressive tread on the fronts