• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't be fooled by the blurb!

ButteMT61

:lol: Man, there are some stories out there. But to be fair to the seller, he may have been told all of that and actually believes it? I know that sometimes stories are embellished and maybe it was not intentional. I'd guess that contacting him and discussing it would reveal which side he's on there...

I'd say though, that when we look for bargains on eBay, and internet in general, we all run the risk of being took. It's easy t find legit items with provenance at a high price, but we do gamble when we look for a cheap buy. That's where the knowledge pays off. And sadly, not many guys know what you know Andrew...

Chapter One:... ;)

Roughwear

Thanks Scott. I have contacted the seller but he has yet to reply. I suspect he is retelling his grandfather's story.

a2jacketpatches

Yup, just yesterday I was explaining to a guy on Craigslist that his VN ere M1 helmet couldn't possibly be the one in his story of the WW2 Army vet. He responded pretty pissed off stating that The vet knows more than I do. Just told him I've got better things to do than police Craigslist looking for tall tales and that I wish it were what he said it was so I could buy it.

a2jacketpatches

Seems like a nice guy, I just explained to him that likely Grandpa was just telling him an interesting story and he agreed. As in my previous post, lots of the old timers do fill in the gaps with replacements and repros thinking nobody knows the difference and often embellished with a creative story. A lot of the second hands they end up in will either be receptive or get angry to hearing the truth. My M1 Helmet guy got angry. But I do think it's only fair to approach them giving the benefit of the doubt anyway considering I go face to face with sellers from all walks of life. The vets, their families, pickers, everyone, and they all want their items to be something special.

My all time favorite was the bayonet that got worn down about three inches from being used to poke the ground in search of land mines during the Korean War :lol: I smiled and the seller said with a huge smile back - "Yeah I know, but that's what the guy told me"

This Irvin guy posted a very rude comment from some key board commando out there, hope not from here, if so, a little tact is in order whoever you are.....
"Wow! That's a great story! Too bad it's bullshit because the jacket is a reproduction"

Roughwear

Thank you for the detailed reasons why it is not original. It sure has a look and feel of an old item but in great condition at the same time. Oh well, looks like this story was one of those memorable childhood entertainment things our Grandparents tell us when we are small and our world is still but a Fairy tale. Part of me is disappointed, but for the most, makes me laugh because he was a great Grandfather who always put our happiness first. I will amend the listing, you appear to know what you are talking about.