• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you prefer the G-1 over the A-2?

Stony

I find that there are a lot of vintage G-1s out there that don't need any restoration, so keep looking and pay about the same as you would if you restored one.

bjoy

I find the G-1 fits me much better and is more comfortable than any of the A-2s that I own.

My favorite G-1 is a 1965 Ralph Edwards 7823C in size 44 that I got on eBay for $13.49 plus postage two years ago with scuffed leather, good collar, and amazingly nice lining (but was dirty with trashed knits, broken zipper puller, and bad pictures). Some touch-up to the leather and another $100 for repairs including an old stock Conmar paperclip zipper and it looked great.

My Gibson & Barnes M422a is hands down the most comfortable jacket I own.

M422a-XL.jpg

PaulGT3

Clark J I think you have put into words perfectly what we were trying to say but couldnt quite put into words.

Yankee I love the GoodWear Navy series. I have the L W Foster

herk115

A-2 without a doubt and always will be, though I do own a couple of G-1s that I wear occasionally. For those who say the G-1 is more comfortable, well, you just haven't found the right A-2 yet. I can (and have) sleep all night wearing one and it's as comfortable as a night shirt! :)

some bloke

Hi everyone, this is my first post - I didn't see an intro section so I hope it's ok jumping in. For what it's worth, I prefer the G1/M422/ANJ3 styling over the A2; I prefer the way the bi-swing/strap back looks as opposed to the flat expanse of the A2 back. I hope that's not blasphemy here.

Marv

some bloke said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post - I didn't see an intro section so I hope it's ok jumping in. For what it's worth, I prefer the G1/M422/ANJ3 styling over the A2; I prefer the way the bi-swing/strap back looks as opposed to the flat expanse of the A2 back. I hope that's not blasphemy here.

Welcome to the forum, the is a members bio section on the main board index if you haven't found it already. :)

some bloke

Marv said:
some bloke said:

Welcome to the forum, the is a members bio section on the main board index if you haven't found it already. :)

Doh!

Thanks Marv.

galvestonokie

I suppose i have not found the right A-2 yet, because i find the G-1 series to be way more comfortable, especially driving or sitting. since i live in a hot climate, my solution is to find a vintage G-1 or M-422A that fits, and replace the mouton collar with goatskin. This makes a wonderful and functional daily wearer. there are many excellent used, broken in, and experienced Navy jackets around. I'm just sayin... Bob